V | Resolve

All Lionel heard was that Kaleb had been shot. After those words, everything sort of blurred for the rest of the conversation. He wasn't sure where or why, only that he'd been attacked while he'd been out with Kaia. None of that mattered, he just had to see his best friend, his brother. 

He'd practically sprinted down the halls of the Mansion, his footsteps echoing. He bolted past people, not caring how strange he must have looked to them. They didn't know that their Alpha had been shot. No one but the higher-ups knew. Elias had been the one to tell him, dropping the news on him like the man was talking to a little, fragile kid. But even Elias hadn't known the details of the attack, he'd only heard it called in from Jaeda. 

Lionel arrived at the door sooner than he was ready. Jaeda was standing outside, looking shaken, as well as a couple of the others Elias had told, talking amongst themselves around the entrance to the ball room. "Where is he? Elias said that Kaleb was here," Lionel said, the words tumbling from him uncontrollably. Panic makes lips loose. 

"Lion," Jaeda said, standing up straighter. She looked stunned for a second. A second was too long to wait. 

"Jaeda, tell me where Kaleb is!" Lionel practically shouted. 

She blinked rapidly and spoke just as fast, "Not here. Well, he was. But they took him to Jaeger already, just now. But they said no one could go in other than medical personnel. But Kaia's here." 

"Kaia," Lionel said. He'd almost forgotten about her in his shock. She must have been so afraid; guilt washed over Lionel and he felt sick. He clutched his stomach. He'd practically just met her and her was already this loyal to her. 

"It'll be alright," Jaeda said, "He'll live."

"You don't know that," Lionel said, "You can't." 

He stared as her lips hinted at a calm, tiny smile. "I have faith, though," she said, "People who've got a lot to live for fight like hell."

Lionel softened a bit. He stared up at the ceiling and sent his wishes up into the air, hoping they'd get where they needed to go...wherever that was. 

"Where is Kaia?" Lionel asked, looking back down to Jaeda, "She probably needs someone."

"You're not going to try and bust into Kaleb's room?" Jaeda asked. 

Lionel shook his head and shoved his hands into his pockets, "And risk my best friend's life? No way." Lionel tried to smile but he fell short. He wasn't used to that. 

"You're good at hiding things most of the time, but I don't think even you could manage to hide something this big," Jaeda said. 

Lionel nodded slowly, "I want more than anything to go and see him, but if he's hurting and my presence will interrupt Jaeger...I just can't do that. I lost myself for a second, but I'm ok now." 

"Well, you will be. When he's recovered," Jaeda said. 

Lionel managed the smile this time. Jaeda had her moments. "I will be." 

And not a second after he said those words, the door Jaeda had been posted outside opened. Lionel practically fell to his knees, the smell was so close. How had he not sensed it through the door? No, he'd been distracted, worried about his best friend. But now...

Dread slammed into him. "Kaia, are you ok?" Lionel asked as the door shut behind her again. He wanted to make sure Kaia was alright, but he couldn't help but stare at the heavy wooden door. He knew what lay beyond it. He took a deep breath and ignored the tingling on his skin, turning his attention back to Kaia. She was covered in blood and her eyes were puffy. She looked like she could blow away any moment.