XIII | Haunted

Hey, guys. So I wanted to put a quick trigger warning here. Lion has had a rough life, and this chapter can get a little painful at times. It ends alright, but there are descriptions of violence and abuse here, so please be mindful. Be strong! Because, as we all know, Lion makes it through and finds Cole. 

Also, this is like two chapters in one. It's like over 5,000 words. Woops. Good luck!

All Lionel could think about were her screams. Over and over again they'd pierce every atom of his body. He hated it, but he couldn't escape it. He couldn't leave her to do this alone. She needed him. He was a child, but he was better than no one. 

"Lion, are you ok? Are you ok, baby?" she asked him. She was covered in sweat. Her face was blotchy and flushed. She was breathing hard. 

"I'm fine, Momma," Lionel said. He wasn't, of course. He wanted to scream and hide. But he couldn't let her know that. So he pretended he was ok. She was the one in real pain, so he wouldn't complain. 

"I know it's scary, but it'll be ok. We'll all be ok," she said. 

"Ok," Lionel repeated. It was all he could manage as he wiped some blood away with a damp towel. 

"I love you, Li-" but Lionel's name turned to a scream in her mouth. Lionel didn't cry, though. He just took hold of his baby brother's slimy little head and did his best. He did his best. And it was horrible. 

Until it wasn't. 

"Hello," Lionel breathed. He was an ugly little thing, but still somehow beautiful. Lionel wiped the filth from his brother. His mother had taught him all she could about what he'd need to do to help her. As far as he could tell, it had gone ok. "Hi," Lionel said with an exhausted smile. 

"Let me see him," she said. She held out her arms, but didn't move an inch. 

"Ok," Lionel said, bringing the little thing over to her. He was unbearably loud, but somehow quieted down when he was in his mother's arms. Lionel peeked over the edge of the towel his little brother was wrapped in. He had the same blue eyes his mom did. 

"He's beautiful, isn't he?" she said, looking to Lionel. 

Lionel nodded and smiled, "You did it." 

She pressed her lips together and reached out to Lionel, stroking the side of her son's face. "I couldn't have done it without you. You were so brave. I'm proud." She kissed him and he felt safe, warm. Despite what they'd just gone through, Lionel always felt like everything was going to be ok when he was with his mom. He hadn't doubted her for a second. 

"Do you want to name him?" she asked, gazing at her new son. 

Lionel shook his head vigorously, "No way." 

She laughed, "What? Why not?"

"Because what if the name I choose is bad? What if he doesn't like it and he grows up and blames me for the name he hates?" Lionel fretted. 

She smiled and shook her head, "My funny little Lion. I don't think that will happen." 

"Ok, but you should name him, not me," Lionel insisted. 

"Well, alright. If you say so," she agreed, "But I'm not sure. Maybe we should name him after your dad?" 

Lionel smiled, "I knew you'd think of something good." 

"You like the idea?" she asked. 

Lionel nodded, "I think he'd have liked it." Lionel's smile faltered briefly, but he hid his sadness. This was supposed to be a happy day. He didn't want to make his mom sad. Still, he missed his dad.