The Myrrian Crisis - Chapter 04 - Much Like Home

Chapter 4 – Much Like Home

It was two hours past midday, and Karana still wasn’t here! She told me that she would meet me by the large evergreen tree in the center of the courtyard at noon.

I threw my hands into the air and mumbled, “Might as well head back to bed.”

“And that was lesson one,” she said firmly as she jumped down from one of the tree’s branches, “Patience.”

She was even more gorgeous this time. She was wearing loose silk pants and a navy blue battle vesture.

It was quite a bit more revealing than the bulky parka she was wearing before. I was able to get a closer look at her immaculate body. The shape was that of an hourglass. Her smooth curves captivated me, almost to the point that I couldn’t think straight. I noticed a small rip in her vest. Through it, I saw a strange scar nestled on her stomach.

WHACK!

Before I knew it, I was crumpled on the cold, stone pavement. I felt a stinging, burning sensation on my cheek, and a blocky, blunt ache on my side as I picked myself off the ground.

I am up here.” she scorned, “Do you expect to win any battles with those greedy, teenage eyes?”

It took a minute for me to gather my thoughts.

“No,” I moaned dizzily, “Damn, was that a punch!”

She ignored my comment, and continued, “History is full of young boys falling for women during times of war. But never in the heat of the battlefield. If you lose your focus, you will lose your life as well. I do not want that to happen. Understand?”

I stammered, “Y-yes. Yes I do.”

“I can clearly see that our first real lesson will be on focus. Heaven knows you need it.”

“What do I do first?”

“Do you know meditation?”

“Of course. What self-respecting Rürmyrrad doesn’t?”

“Good. I guess you’re not a complete moron, after all. Now, what stances do you know?”

“For meditation?”

“For combat.”

I sighed. Other than wrestling with Kess over a portion of fish, I had never been in a fight in my life. I was always tending to the corn back home.

Home... Papa would have been preparing supper right about now. We would always go to bed early, as we usually woke up before sunrise. Kess and I would check the fish net and pull it in if there was a catch. If not, we would inspect the crops for any major defects or diseases.

“None,” I said, choking up.

Her face grew a soft expression as she sat me down on a nearby bench.

Her warm hand was resting upon my shoulder. It was unreal to me. Her beautiful hand was touching me!

“Is something wrong, Mikkel?” she asked quietly, “You sound different.”

“Just remembering my Papa. The soldier you shot down was the man who killed him.”

She glanced down for a moment and returned her gaze to my eyes, “I am sorry to say this, but that’s life. It’s not a part of life that we like, but it’s there. All we can do is deal with the tiles that we have been given. We can choose to dwell in a toxic nostalgia, or we can use it as energy to drive us forward.”

Karana sat down immediately when she arrived home, burying her face into her hands, as if that would help in some way.

Her mind was weary. This feeling, it was so strange to her, so foreign. It was almost a brand new sensation for her. She was blissful, and yet in a state of dysfunction. It was only when she thought of him, however. He was different. Even special.

This mindset was incredible! A swirling mixture of sheer happiness and raging oppression was assaulting her heart.

Could this be what she had fought off for so long? Could this possibly be...?

“DAMMIT!” she cursed as she darted upright.

After a sharp exhale, she muttered, “I’m not blind. There is no way.”

Maybe I’m right. Maybe I’m the blind one...

She grabbed a nearby candlestick and tossed it across the room.

As it shattered against the wall, she sobbed,“One boy! One handsome face, and I lose my damned mind!”

“Karana, what are you doing?” her father asked calmly as he descended the stairs.

She sighed, “I don’t know. That’s the problem.”

“What’s going on, Kaykay?”

“It’s that Mikkel! I can’t stop thinking about him.”

“And?”

“I... I don’t know. I feel euphoric, and yet tied down when I do.”

Her father smiled, and said, “Karana, you’re in love.”