Khalid Bin Waleed

"I will give you three days, if the gates are not opened on these revised terms, I shall attack. And then there shall be no terms of any kind."

He was bestowed with the epithet "Sword of Allah" by the Prophet Muhammad after his heroism and bravery in one of the turning points of early Islamic military expansion. The battle of Mutah is heralded as Khalid Bin Waleed's grand introduction in to the world of military command, when the deaths of three of his senior generals placed the standard in his hand and forced him to doggedly fight for his life against tens of thousands of experienced Roman Byzantine Warriors.

Khalid was a member of the Quraysh and emanated from the Banu Makhzum clan. His family enjoyed great esteem and were one of the notable amongst the elite in pre-Islamic Meccan society. When the Prophet Muhammad PBUH migrated to Medina and inflicted a humiliating defeat upon the Quraysh in the battle of Badr, the news of the battle was received with shock amongst the nobility of the Quraysh. They sought bloody revenge against the muslim agitators in the north for killing some of their chieftain, and because they considered them an increasing threat to their way of life.

The Quraysh assembled a well-equipped infantry to march to the Muslim stronghold, eventually engaging them in battle on the outskirts of Madinah near mount Uhud. As recorded in historical texts, the Muslim army were on their way to a resounding victory, but a lapse in concentration by the archers positioned at the top of Uhud, to keep a check on the advancing Quraysh, meant that the enemies of the Muslims had an opportunity to reverse the tide of the battle in their favour.

One of the Qurayshi leaders who sought to inflict defeat and humiliation on the Muslims was Khalid Bin Waleed. During the clashes, the beloved uncle of the Prophet, Hamza, was martyred at the hands of an Abyssinian slave who fought for the Quraysh. The Prophet himself suffered a major wound, as chinks of metal from his helmet, wedged themselves in to his skull. As the Muslims retreated, they were chased to the top of Uhud by the galvanised Quraysh army.

Khalid looked up to the Muslims on the mountain and he began to berate and curse them. The Prophet responded to Khalid with the words "Oh Khalid, do not curse my companions, for even if one was to spend the weight of Uhud in gold in the path of Allah, it would not be comparable in deed to what the Muslims have done here today".

Over the coming years, the Muslims and Quraysh would face off in numerous battles with mounting losses on both sides. In the 7th year after Hijrah, the Prophet led fourteen-hundred companions to Makkah with the intention of performing Umrah. Upon hearing of this, the Quraysh sent Khalid bin Waleed and a small battalion to prevent them from entering the city limits. The Muslims were camped six miles outside of the city and were effectively hindered from carrying out their pilgrimage. When one of the prominent Quraysh came to confront the Muslims, he noted their resolve in completing their pilgrimage and set about hammering out a peace agreement with the Muslims. This culminated in the famous treaty of Hudaiybiyah in which the Muslims and the Quraysh agreed to cease hostilities. The Muslims were to be treated with fairness and equality and granted access to the holy site at Makkah while trade links and family reunions were to be reinstated. One of the provisions of Hudaibiyah which proved controversial to even the closest of the Prophet's companions was that whoever of the Quraysh defected to the Muslims in Medina, would be expelled back to Makkah, while whosoever of the Muslims defected to the Quryash, would not be expected to return.

The words of the treaty were as follow: "In your name, O God!

This is the treaty of peace between Muhammad Ibn Abdullah and Suhayl ibn Amr. They have agreed to allow their arms to rest for ten years. During this time each party shall be secure, and neither shall injure the other; no secret damage shall be inflicted, but honesty and honour shall prevail between them. Whoever in Arabia wishes to enter into a treaty or covenant with Muhammad can do so, and whoever wishes to enter into a treaty or covenant with the Quraysh can do so. And if a Qurayshite comes without the permission of his guardian to Muhammad, he shall be delivered up to the Quraysh; but if, on the other hand, one of Muhammad's people comes to the Quraysh, he shall not be delivered up to Muhammad. This year, Muhammad, with his companions, must withdraw from Mecca, but next year, he may come to Mecca and remain for three days, yet without their weapons except those of a traveler, the swords remaining in their sheaths."