Three

Alex POV

When I woke up, my body felt dry and sore everywhere. I opened my eyes, but my vision was kind of blurry. I could tell by the different array of noises and people walking around that I was probably in a hospital. Something was stuck in my arm that I could only assume was an IV and I heard the steady beat of a heart monitor very close by.

I couldn't however identify the two figures that were sitting across the room from me.

I couldn't make out any of their facial features, just that one of them was a lot taller than the other. I shifted my body on the bed when they noticed I was awake.

"Your up," one figure said. I remained silent as the figures approached my bed. It was only when they were at my bedside that their faces finally came into focus and I recognized them.

"Scott... Mitch," I said my voice cracking from the smokiness inside. "Wha-"

"Hold on," Scott said. He picked up a glass of water that was sitting on the small table in the room and handed it to me. I sat up then took a few sips. I downed the rest of the glass in one second after realizeing how thirsty I actually was. "Better?" he asked. I nodded and handed him the empty glass. He set it down on the table then smiled at me. 

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked. 

"We wanted to make sure you were OK after everything that happened," Mitch said giving Scott a look out of the corner of his eye. 

Suddenly, everything came flooding back after Mitch's statement and I felt an overwhelming urge to cry. However, I found myself unable to produce any tears, so instead I just lied in bed, my bottom lip quivering and my chest beginning to heave a little bit. 

"Alex? Are you OK?" Scott asked. 

"It's all gone," I whispered. 

"What's gone?" the blonde asked moving a bit closer to me. 

My guitar. My blanket. My records. 

My home. 

"Maybe I should get the doctor?" Mitch said backing away from the bed. 

"That might be a good idea," Scott said. As Mitch left the room, Scott sat on the edge of the bed next to me. Strangely enough, I didn't make him get up. 

"You can trust me Alex," he said rubbing my back softly. I still didn't say anything. I didn't really now what I could say. 

"Can you at least tell me why you were in that abandoned building in the middle of the night?" he asked. 

"I..." 

Could I trust Scott? Yes he helped me last night, but wouldn't anybody do that in a situation like that? He was just being nice because I was weak. Or maybe he was actually this nice all the time? 

"I... I kind of live there..." I said. "I guess lived would be more of a correct statement now," I added, correcting myself. 

Scott 's blue eyes grew wide. His face twisted in confusion as he stopped rubbing my back. 

"What do you mean you lived there? Where are your parents?" the blonde asked concerned. 

"My mom died when I was 6 and my dad is at his house back in Seattle," I said calmer. 

"Why don't you live with your dad?" he asked. 

I sighed and lifted up my right arm, revealing a long scar that ran from the top of my armpit to the far beneath the hospital gown I was wearing. Scott's jaw dropped.