Fourteen

"Hello Alex," Mr. Grissom said. "How are you today?" he added giving me a small smile.

"Fine," I mumbled into the tiny microphone. Max and the boys told me to say as little as I could while I was up here. Anything I said in the court could be used against Scott and Mitch if the jury took it the wrong way.  

"That's great. So Alex, have you enjoyed staying with Mr. Hoying and Mr. Grassi?" he asked. 

"Yes I have. They're great people," I answered. 

"Are they? That's wonderful. Except isn't it annoying that you've got that darn cast on your foot now," he said. 

"I guess, but it was my fault for running away," I explained. 

"I see. Now Alex, when was the last time you saw your father?"

"When I was 13," I said. 

"And how was that interaction?" he asked. 

"He yelled at me and he... he..." 

"He what Alex?" Grissom asked placing his hand on the witness stand. My eyes moved to my father sitting in his chair, glaring at me. A chill went down my spine. I couldn't bring myself to answer the question. 

Go ahead. Tell them. Just tell them and he'll be locked up forever. Just do it. What are you so afraid of?

My eyes turned to Scott and Mitch who were watching me anxiously. My hands and legs were shaking. I couldn't bring my lips to say the words. 

"What did he do Alex? Ground you?" Grissom asked. I knew exactly what he was doing. He and my father were trying to scare me into keeping quiet and it was working. 

Well, kind of working. 

I wanted to tell everyone the horrible things my father did to me, but something inside me was stopping me from saying the words I'd waited so long to say. 

"I...I... can't tell you," I said. 

"And why not? Are Mr. Grassi and Mr. Hoying lying about you're fathers parental abilities? Tell us Alex!" 

I was completely frightened. I didn't know what to do. Scott and Mitch hadn't lied, but unless I said something, they could go to jail for "lying". 

Then it came to me. 

"I... I can't tell you. I can only show you. Your Honor, may I stand?" I asked. Judge McCormick nodded and I stood up. I removed myself from the witness stand and on to the middle of the court room floor where everyone could see me. 

Then carefully, I ripped the right side of my dress open, revealing the long scar that ran all the way down to my thigh. I turned to my wound to people of the jury, then I showed it to audience and finally the judge.

"Mr. Zimmer gave that to you?!" Judge McCormick asked astonished. I nodded my head, causing loud exclamations of distress and curiosity from the jury and audience. "Order! Order!" Judge McCormick exclaimed. The room resettled and I turned to Mr. Grissom, a smirk on my face. The shock on his face was clearly evident. It was obvious now my father hadn't told him everything about our situation. 

"Any more questions?" I asked. He rubbed his temples and sighed.

"No further questions Your Honor," he announced taking his seat.

"Mr. Levine, do you have questions for Ms. Zimmer?" the judge asked.

"No, Your Honor," Max said. I smiled. On my way back to my seat, Scott took his suit jacket off and handed it to me.