BRUISED-Chapter 1

Chapter 1—Never Say That

Thoughts of that day still haunt me. Thoughts of today will haunt me. I never thought it would happen to me. It started out as something innocent. Two happy families were coming together.

I never had a whole family to begin with. My biological father ran out on us before I was born. I never met the man, and I honestly don’t care anymore. Anyone who doesn’t want to know me doesn’t deserve to know me. I’m definitely glad my mother gave me her last name, instead of my father’s. Akira Pierce sounds way better to me than Akira what’s-his-name. My mother, Sandra Pierce, was a sweet, hard-working woman who took care of me no matter what obstacles came her way. She was judged for being an unmarried pregnant woman, but everyone close to her found her brave and determined.

When she met Colton Ryder, she was ecstatic. I was comfortable with him being around, and he’s a great step-father. I even call him Dad.

But with the new step-father came a step-brother, Seth Ryder.

Seth and I got along great…until a certain night.

I’ll never be able to erase those memories from my mind.

Our parents were out on a date night for their first wedding anniversary, and he was in charge of me. I was fifteen at the time, and he was seventeen. I never thought someone who seemed so nice could be capable of such a thing.

It started out with a simple game of truth or dare…

I was sitting on his bed reading a book, while Seth worked on finishing a school essay.

“Just one more sentence and I’ll be done,” he said, continuing to type.

“What a coincidence. Just one more sentence and I’ll finish my book.”

He saved the document and plopped down next to me.

“And that’s how the story goes…” I stated, closing my book.

I tossed it onto the nightstand and rested my head against the headboard.

“Do you think our parents are going to be gone a while?” he asked.

“They’re always out all night when they go out on dates. And since it’s their anniversary, they’ll probably be out extra late.”

“I just did an essay, and there’s nothing to do. Entertain me,” Seth requested.

“What am I, a clown?”

“Fine. Let’s play truth or dare.”

“Shoot.”

“Alright, you go first. Truth or dare?”

“Truth.”

“Chicken. You’re so safe.”

“Fine, dare.”

He smirked.

“Well, what’s the dare?” I asked.

“Kiss me.”

“Ew, gross! You’re family.”

“We’re not blood-related. We don’t have the same last name. Basically, we just live in the same house.”

“Well then, you have a point, but why would you want me to do that anyway?”

“You’re so innocent. Just admit that you’ve never had your first kiss.”

“I chose dare, not truth.”

“Well, you refuse to do the dare, so tell me the truth.”

“Fine, I’ve never been kissed before. Now, it’s your turn. Truth or da—”