BRUISED-Chapter 2

Chapter 2—Powdered Sugar Scones

Since I couldn’t go to the sleepover, Tara and I decided to just hang out during the day along with our friend, Amy.

We headed into the local coffee shop where we usually spend our free time.

We sat in our usual booth next to a big window.

“So, why can’t you come tonight?” Amy asked. “Sarah and Tiffany are going to be there, too.”

“I just can’t. My…uh…parents need me to stay home and help Seth with something.”

“Speaking of Seth, does he have a girlfriend yet?” Amy questioned.

I shook my head. “That guy doesn’t deserve a girlfriend. He’d make a terrible boyfriend.”

“I still don’t understand why you hate him so much.”

“It’s just complicated. We…never really got along well.”

“He’s so handsome, though. And, he’s strong. You can just tell by the way his shirts cling to him like—”

I cut Tara off.

“Okay, please stop talking about him. I feel really uncomfortable about it.”

“Alright. Well, let’s go order something.”

Amy and Tara stood up when my phone rang.

I gestured them to go ahead.

I waited until they got to the line, before I answered my phone and talked to the monster.

“What do you want?”

“Where are you?” Seth questioned.

“I’m at the coffee shop.”

“I’ll be picking you up in about an hour.”

“I told you I’d be out for at least two hours. Why’d you cut my time short? You’re already depriving me of going to the sleepover.”

“You know why I need you here.”

It’s one of his urges again.

“Let me give you some advice. Stop watching dirty movies, or take care of the problem yourself.”

“You better listen to me,” he warned. “You need to be nice to me, or I might make your experiences worse.”

“You don’t deserve to be treated well. I’ve been saying that for the past two years.”

“Just be ready to be picked up in an hour. Got it?”

I sighed. “I got it.”

I hung up, and my friends approached me with their drinks.

“Who was that?” Tara asked.

“Seth called me to tell me that I can only stay out for an hour.”

“You’d think that he’s the boss of you or something,” Amy stated. “Is he a controlling type of person?”

“Very controlling,” I admitted.

“He can’t be that bad.”

It pained me to hear my best friend indirectly defending my step-brother’s actions.

“I’m, uh, going to get a drink,” I said, standing up.

I walked over to the counter, and the barista smiled at me.

“Hey, how are you doing?” he asked.

“Um, I’m good. I’m just hanging with my friends,” I replied.