Chapter 3: The Visit

Panic quickly set in. My mind became clouded by worried thoughts, and my chest became heavy with an overwhelming pressure that threatened to crush my soul.

How I let this happen, I don't know....I wasn't careful enough. I let everyone I love down. What if I never escape? What if Cal decides to do something reckless? I can't take responsibility for another life, taken by death because of my existence. I wished I could disappear, leaving nothing for Maven to take from me, not even my ashes.

Elara will interrogate me for sure. I remembered the last time she rummaged through my thoughts, my dreams, my memories. Her presence was dark and she inflicted more pain than I thought was even possible to experience.

I inhaled through my nose and exhaled through my mouth. I needed to calm down. Maven doesn't deserve the satisfaction of seeing me deteriorate under his thumb. I knew he was probably watching me. His obsession is too strong for him to fight, not that he wants to anyway. He'll come for me. Maybe in an hour, maybe five minutes, maybe he's walking to my chamber now. I waited. I waited for him to burst through the doors and bring me life shattering news. To torment me with his vile words. To take me to his mother.

I twisted the string hanging from the quilt on my bed. As I looked at the pattern, I realized that Gisa could have created a more beautiful pattern. Well, before her hand was broken...I will never break free of the guilt that plagues me from that day. How did an event so tragic happen on such a beautiful, sunny day? Her whole future was ruined by my selfish decision to try and escape conscription with Kilorn.

I shook my head and tried to erase the shameful memory from my mind. But it held its ground. I watched it play behind my eyes, a movie only I could see. I can picture it like it was just yesterday: the sentil stating the law, fixing me and Gisa in a malicious stare, the butt of a gun coming down upon her gentle, delicate hand.

I snapped out of my daze as the sound of footsteps sounded from the end of the hall. I wondered who it would be. Maven? Evangeline? Arvens? Whoever it was, I knew I wasn't going to enjoy the visit.

The sound grew nearer and my heart pounded louder with each passing second. The doorknob twisted, mimicking my insides and I held my breath, waiting for the monster to take me away.

It was Maven. He walked in with his head held high, chest out, shoulders back, and a faint scent of cologne trailer with him. He was dressed in formal attire, a black uniform adorned with a red sash and medals he did not earn. That stupid silver crown still sat upon his head. A boy convincing himself he was a king. How pathetic. He was more than likely preparing for a broadcast, ready to spread more lies that reds and silvers alike will fall into the trap of believing. By the looks of it, he isn't taking me anywhere. He's merely stopping by check on me. How I wish I could wrap my hands around his pale neck.

"I see you've made yourself comfortable."

"There is no way in hell I will ever be comfortable in this prison you call a kingdom," I hissed.

"It will go away soon enough, my dear Mare."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

Whatever game he intends to play, I am in no mood for it. I stare blankly at his forehead to get my point across. Also because it's so hard to look into those treacherous blue eyes.

"If you don't cooperate, it will only make things worse."

An empty threat. He loves me too much to do anything substantial. He nods his head, turns on his heal, and walks to the door.

"I'll be back," he said.