The Light of Dusk

"Sandra Barlow", she confirms. My mouth falls open. Barlow. The Barlows, previously my horrible adoptive family. "But... how is that possible? There was only James", I stutter, unable to comprehend this information. "WRONG!," she screeches, "They had a daughter. Your best friend. But you forgot. You. Forgot. All. About. Sandra", she says quietly, accenting every word and gritting her teeth. I shake my head. "You're crazy".

Then I notice the shopkeeper sneaking up behind Sandra,  planning to grab the sword. Keep her talking, she mouths. My heart starts pounding moderately slower in my chest. "How. How did I forget". A statement. "You were small Kendra, nine. A traumatizing experience for anyone at such a young age is a perfectly fine reason to forget some things", she makes puppy eyes and pouty lips. A pity face. Hate boils up inside me. 

"But I didn't did I?", I inquire. The old woman is nearly there. "No...you see, us Barlows are descended from a jester. A certain jester that a certain someone stole a gem from", Sandra says, holding the sword horizontally in front of her and caressing the flat part of the blade. The shopkeeper stops dead.

Sandra laughs. "You can come out now, old witch. I do believe it was you who caused something less than pleasant to inhabit the gem after you stole it from my many-greats grandfather". The old woman comes out from behind Sandra, shaking with fury. "You see, the jester practiced magic. I know because I've read tales of our family lore. It wasn't light or dark, just enough so that he could please humans with little tricks to get them to pay him so he could eat", she growls. 

"That gem was the source of his powers. Not to mention worth a lot of money and a precious family heirloom". I sigh, disheartened, "So what is this? You coming after us for sweet revenge?". "No, see I was all alone. My own mother left, brother dead, dad in jail, and forgotten by my best friend. Until one day someone took pity on the poor child roaming the dangerous streets of God knows where and took her in", she continues. "So the answer to your question is no, I am not stealing this sword because the gem was a family heirloom, but for the former".

"You want the gem because it'll make you rich", I whisper. "Oh yes, look who finally came to their senses. OF COURSE I WANT IT BECAUSE IT'LL MAKE ME RICH!", she shouts. Then Sandra Barlow points the sword to the old shopkeeper and me and orders us to lead her to the gem. I almost obey, but then I see an old, familiar face behind Sandra. Holding a gigantic rock. 

So I say, "That still doesn't explain how I lost my memories of you". "Oh, how stupid can a person get? I told you my ancestor practiced magic and that I read old family stories. I mean PUT THE PUZZLE PIECES TOGETHER ALREADY!". "You practiced magic", I whisper. She rolls her eyes, "Ye—", only to get knocked out by Connor and his rock. I smile, "You have a tendency to knock people out don't you?". "I certainly do have a knack for it", brags Connor, looking very proud of himself. 

"That should hold her for a while, now shouldn't you gals get on with the ritual thingymajiggy?", he asks. "Don't call me a gal or I shall start addressing you by 'lad' and make sure it catches on", the shopkeeper scowls. That wipes Connor's smile away, "As you wish". Then the ritual begins. 

We have to close our eyes while the blade is being enchanted so the brilliant light won't scorch our eyes. I lie down below the sword the old woman is holding out, considering I have to catch it once she lets go. That isn't much of a problem because the light radiates so brightly that I can see it through my closed eyelids (like looking at the sun with closed eyes) and as soon as it stops radiating, I put hands up and catch the sword.

Connor and I start sprint back to his house (which isn't very far) and the shopkeeper waits for an Uber to take her back to her shop. It's almost first light. On the way back tell Connor about my plan and the vital piece of information the shopkeeper told me. He nods in agreement.

Then we're there. I open the door and walk up the stairs.

Into Kendra's room.

I make sure Connor's outside the door, calling someone already. 

My heart starts beating faster as the sky seems lighter than it'd been a second ago. 

Then I walk up to Kendra. "I'm so sorry", I whisper, looking down at her peaceful face while she is sleeping. Then I stab her.