Friday 7 March

It took The Girlfriend to crack me. I have been waiting a month for certain things to become public. The waiting has almost driven me crazy and now finally, it has happened. Someone other than The Quarterback and myself has become involved. She walked up to me today, all swishy blonde ponytail and wide lip-glossed smile. I knew the moment I saw her that the secret was out. She had never even looked at me before, and now here she was, walking up to me about to speak. For a split second I actually considered making a run for it, cartoon style.

“Hey,” she said.

I just peered at her from under my fringe. Stu stood next to me paralyzed with amazement.

“So… my boyfriend’s been texting you.”

I stayed glued to the spot and Stu turned his look of amazement on me.

“He left his phone at mine last night. Apparently, he likes the way you …,” she choked back the tears.” He likes the way you …” She couldn’t finish her sentence.

I left her standing there. What could I do? I actually did that cartoon run I had been contemplating and left her standing there next to Stu who was still frozen with shock.

Yup, a pretty dramatic moment, and I think everyone who was there would agree.