chapter six, FORBIDDEN FRUIT.

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX.
━━━━━━━━━
Who in his mind has not probed the dark water?

JOHN STEINBECK, EAST OF EDEN
━━━━━━━━━

"WHAT ABOUT YOU, SWEET ASTORIA?"

She turns to Elia, her eyes holding question. The three ladies sit on the balcony belonging to Ashara's chambers, chattering and sipping Lyseni Tea.

"Where do you hide your heart for someone to steal it?" Elia asks once more, one dark eyebrow raised. She looks lovely, bronze skin bathed in the dying light of the sun and bringing a glimmer to her dark eyes.

Beside her, the Pentoshi hears Ashara laughing lightly. "I prefer to keep such things to myself and myself only," she murmurs, cheeks reddening. "Though I do not let men visit my bed and body easily."

"Pray tell us your secrets," Elia cries out, eyes opened wide and with a smile that seems too big for her face. "As your dearest friend I feel inclined to know whether you are still a hopeless maiden."

"From the looks shared by her and my brother, I can assure you, she is not anymore."

     "Oh, shush! He and I would never," she tries to quiet them but cannot help herself. A giggle that is so unlike her escapes her lips and she imagines them, naked and panting, while a dark blush creeps up her neck. Astoria cannot deny that Arthur Dayne is an unusually handsome man, more so than most lords she had acquainted herself with. It is hard to overlook his obvious beauty when it is presented to you on a silver platter, with lilac eyes, a soft smile and sun-kissed skin.

NIGHT HAS ALMOST FALLEN WHEN Ashara forces them to leave by falling asleep. Pregnancy has taken a toll on her body and mind and she needs rest.

Elia and Astoria laugh quietly to themselves as they tip-toe around her chambers, trying not to wake the poor girl out of her slumber. With a grin, the Pentoshi opens the wooden doors to the endless halls. They are illuminated by the burning torches that line the castle's stony walls, throwing a warm, red light upon the two women.

     "My ladies," a voice greets them from the shadows.

     Astoria's heart flutters at the sound of his voice and when she looks up at Arthur, her breath catches in her throat. "Ser," she acknowledges him with a faint smile. "Your sister has fallen asleep. It seems that we are uncommonly boring."

    "I doubt that very much indeed," he grins sloppily. "I shall accompany you to your chambers."

     "I will surely find them on my own without any threatening danger," Elia respons behind her, smirking. "But thank you, Arthur." With a cheeky smile, she disappears in the looming darkness.