Chapter 4 My heart will go on

“DO NOT say that about your new mistress!” he thundered.

“I… I didn’t mean to,” I squeaked even though I had. Right now I figured that playing the humble servant would be the best. Ha. Servant I thought bitterly. That’s what I was now so I better be able to play the part really well. In the background I vaguely heard him yelling at me but I was so lost in my own thoughts that I really didn’t hear a thing that he said. I only tuned in at the end because he was describing what the house looked like. Apparently it had 10 bedrooms, (a little much don’cha think?) 5 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 3 living rooms and a parlour. There were also servant hallways that I had to memorize because ‘I wasn’t allowed to use the main halls since they were afraid I would get them dirty’. Ugh. I hate snooty, stuck up people. They are the bane of my existence. As I watched in horror he turned around and picked up the most hideous dress that I’d ever seen. When I say that I mean that it was BAD. The dress was black with a white apron (isn’t that just stereotypical?), tight sleeves and a bodice. I mean a bodice? Seriously? I thought that it was the 21st century. I guess that I was mistaken. I focused my eyes. He had started onto a lecture in a bored monotone. Gross. Actually that reminded me of one of my teachers from school. I didn’t think that I would be going there again for a while. An antsy feeling started building in my stomach. I had to do something before I died of boredom ‘cause really all I was doing was tuning out of this guy’s lectures and rambling to myself in my mind.

“Can I get started?” I interrupted.

“Well... yes I guess you could,” he said, caught off guard by my suggestion. He looked at me curiously as if trying to decipher me before turning around and once again picking up the dress. Silently he handed it to me. Just as silently I walked out the door.