Chapter 10

Kevin disappeared later that night.

By that I mean there was no sign of him anywhere. And believe me, that was probably the first time anyone had ever described my brother like that in living history.

My parents were frantic. When they got home from their dinner party, Mom and Dad helped me practically tear the house apart trying to find my stupid brother, but it was like he’d walked right off the face of the planet. He hadn’t even bothered leaving a note.

“I’m sure he’s just off on a walk to cool his head somewhere,” Mom said soothingly as Dad’s face turned a nasty shade of purple-red.

“He’s probably off with his friends somewhere. He’ll be back,” I assured Dad.

Dad shot both of us glares like we’d just confirmed his worst fears instead. “Just when I thought he couldn’t possibly be more of an idiot,” he growled, “Kevin goes and pulls something like this! When will the boy ever grow up?”

This will probably come out sounding bad, but I wasn’t nearly as concerned as my parents were. I figured Kevin was old enough to go off on his own, anyway. The guy was approaching his mid-twenties, for Pete’s sakes.

“How did you two find out about Kevin’s choir?” I asked.

“I hardly think this is the time for that sort of question,” Dad replied—and in English, which must have meant he was working up a foul mood.

“I think it is, considering Kevin is under the impression that I ratted him out and that is partially the reason why he’s gone in the first place.”

Dad turned around and gave me a steely look. “Don’t blame yourself for your brother’s irresponsibilityness.”

“Dad, the word is ‘irresponsibility’ And you’re not going to find Kevin under there,” I sighed as my father lifted up the bathroom rug like he was hoping to find his grown sun lurking among the dust bunnies.

“Go to your room, Nancy,” Mom said tiredly.

“What? What did I even do?”

“Nothing. A lot has happened tonight. Your father and I just need some peace of mind.” Mom paused and gave me a meaningful look. “Aren’t you supposed to be working on college applications now?”

I groaned but found myself sitting in front of a blank Microsoft Word document not even two full minutes later.

I was probably the only senior in all of America who still had no clue what she wanted to write for her college essay. So far, I was onto my ninth draft. Yes. Ninth. All eight of the other versions had been so unsalvageable that I hadn’t even bothered trying to rewrite them before tossing them out. If it continued at this rate, frankly, even the state university wouldn’t accept me.

The prompt on the screen started to mesh together in my whacked-out vision for a moment, so that the Tell us about a special bond between you and another person was more like Tlel su buoat @ lpsieac bndo btewene ouy nda toanhre snoepr.

I needed sleep. Badly.

I was about to shut my laptop and get some shut-eye before my vision scared me even more, but then those plans were dashed when I heard the telltale ping! announcing an incoming Facebook message.

Alexander: Hey

Nancy: Hello?

Alexander: Are you busy right now?

Nancy: Busy procrastinating, yeah.