Epilogue

James stood dressed in his blues in Port Royal.

It was hard for him to think that about a year earlier he was standing in the same spot.

He had certainly grown since then, gotten more perspective. Gone were the days of blind faith, replaced with it was a world filled with greed, pain, and a bloody ladder that he was desperate to climb. Gone were the days of infatuating love, in their place was a small emptiness that he just couldn't fill, a rage that couldn't be sated, and a desperation for what he had no clue. Gone was Commodore Norrington, for he became James Norrington, a drunk. James Norrington was replaced by Norrington, the deck hand. The deck hand found himself, through a bloody and greed filled path, standing in Commodore Norrington's dress blues, waiting to be called for him promotion.

Norrington was soon to be replaced yet again. He was to become Admiral Norrington for his somehow heroic actions in delivering the heart of Davy Jones to Beckett.

The trumpets played after a roll off. And so, Norrington to a step forward, more humble than one year ago. He climbed the steps, a man who understood desperation with more clarity than a year earlier.

A sword glinsened in his hand, just as balanced as the first day he had weilded it and still made by the same maker. It dawned on Norrington then that nothing really changed in the whole world. He did. For the sword felt heavier, despite that the knowledge of it's maker was nothing new to him. This time, it's glint reflected back to him his own guilt. A guilt that he knew he deserved.

The same governor sat in the audience, but his beautiful daughter was no where to be found. This was good, Norrington reminded himself, she was wanted for Piracy, best for her to stay away.

Somehow he wasn't convinced.

The ceremony ended and as he turned to talk with the first two girls who wanted his hand he muttered a mere six words to himself that accurately described his life.

"Love is such a stupid thing."