An unexpected guest, on an ordinary morning.

Sun gleamed through the curtains, and birds chirped outside the window, Ayva knew it was time to wake up for school. She sat up in her bed and looked out the window, she saw the empty cul de sac and thought how cul de sacs are usually filled with little kids playing around, laughing, and having a fun. But in her neighborhood, kids playing outside is a very rare occasion.

She had a feeling that told her that something was off. Then she realized, her mom hadn't woken her up for school and her house was eerily quiet. There was no freshly brewed coffee smell, no sizzle from the stove, it was silent. Silence in her house only came when either nobody was home, or she was alone.

Wouldn't Mom have told me if her and Dad had an early morning meeting? She thought to herself.

Ayva opened her bedroom door slowly and headed toward her parents' bedroom. She opened the grand double-doors to find a made bed, no wrinkle in the sheets, and not a pillow out of place. Weird. It's like they never even got into bed last night. She left her parents' room and headed downstairs. She turned the corner into the kitchen and found and note on the counter.

"Sorry honey, your father and I had an emergency meeting at the office. Make sure to eat breakfast, and DON'T MISS THE BUS!!" Ayva read the note aloud, unamused.

It didn't surprise her that her parents weren't home, it's the price to pay when both your parents are CEO's at a big company. She threw the note on the table and opened the fridge. The fridge was barren, nothing but a half-gallon of milk, old cheese, and leftover takeout spaghetti from a week and a half ago.

Ayva groaned. "I see they still haven't gone grocery shopping yet. What do they want me to eat? The cat?"

She slammed the fridge shut and decided that breakfast was overrated and went back to her room to get dressed for school.

When she made it up the stairs and was in front of her door she had the feeling, once again, that something wasn't right. She slowly started to turn the doorknob and opened the door. When she saw what was occupying the far corner of her room, she froze in amazement. It was a fairy. A flying, small, glowing fairy. It had a blue aura surrounding it, like something you'd see in a dream. It was warm and fuzzy, and all too familiar. It was almost mesmerizing.