Chapter Three

Jaclyn woke in the early hours of the morning. A light was pouring through the broken glass. 

But, Jaclyn thought, all the lights are broken...

But then she noticed something extraordinary. The light was not from a bulb or a fire.

It was the sun.

Jaclyn had not seen the sun in two years. She felt like crying with happiness.

She shook everyone awake, and soon all of them were staring at the spectacle.

Finally, the fallout had cleared.

Alec, without a word, went down of the departure gates towards a small plane, and then returned minutes later.

"Guys, I have amazing news." 

"What is it, Alec?" Jessica asked with a smile, something she had not done in years.

"Ever heard of the Cub Plane? It's a four seater and is super-easy to use. And we're gonna fly it out of here."

Micah rolled his eyes.

"You don't know how to fly a plane, Alec. We can just walk to any town we want."

Alec stared in skepticism at Micah. He held up a paper he had found in the plane.

"This paper is probably from the guy with the shotgun the other night. Says right here that he was planning to go to Rantoul, where there was food and water and a society. Apparently, my dad told him about it before he ran off with the airport supplies."

"Do you even know what to do with that plane?" Jaclyn asked with a skeptical face.

"Yep. It's just like driving a car." 

Jaclyn raised an eyebrow.

"You don't how to drive a car."

"It's just like steering a car. It's not super complicated. It's got enough fuel to get us to the old air base in Rantoul. Since there isn't heavy cargo, we'll use even less fuel. Does that sound good to y'all?"

The other three looked at each other and nodded after a few seconds.

Alec smiled for the first time in a while.

"Let's go, guys!"