Chapter 9

Bucky drummed his fingers on his stomach as he lay across the couch in the small apartment that he and Scar shared. He had been watching tv and waiting patiently for her to come back home from watching Tony all day. He was tired and his head hurt from training along with lots of paperwork. All Bucky wanted at the moment was to curl up against Scar and have her run her fingers calmingly through his hair. He was still having a bit of a hard time adjusting to life as a "normal" agent. But that was to be expected, after all he had endured through the years of being Hydra's bitch, it still felt strange to be normal again. Bucky sighed softly and curled up on his side, staring blankly at the tv. The door clicked and his hand immediately curled around the gun he had under the pillow. Scar walked in and shut the door, raising a brow slightly at him as she locked it and set her bag down. Bucky released the gun and relaxed, resting his head against the pillow again.

"Hey love," Scar smiled softly, her eyes dancing as the light hit them just right.

"What took you so long?," Bucky smiled back and slowly curled his legs up, giving her room on the couch.

"I got caught up dancing, Tony is better than I had expected him to be, almost better than myself," Scar chuckled softly and wandered over to the couch, slowly sinking down and waiting for Bucky to move.

Bucky shifted and crawled over to Scar's lap, resting his head on her thigh as she gently ran her fingers through his hair. He almost immediately relaxed and gently nuzzled her leg, closing his eyes and letting out a content sigh. He still didn't understand why Scar loved him so much, considering he was still such a mess. But he was very happy she did, he would be lost without her and Steve. Bucky curled his hand around Scar's leg and smiled to himself.

"Are you okay?," Scar asked quietly, curling her fingers in Bucky's hair.

"Now that you're here, yes, I am okay," Bucky squeezed her leg reassuringly and yawned.

"I will always be here for you," Scar spoke so quietly and so softly, her voice silky and smooth.

"I know, and I for you," Bucky purred out quietly, loving the attention his scalp was getting, "Because I'm with you till the end."

"You're a big sap," Scar giggled softly and relaxed back against the couch, taking a deep breath.

"Yeah yeah, but if you tell anyone I'll never forgive you," Bucky gave a soft whine as Scar pulled her hands away from his hair.

"I wouldn't tell a soul," Scar closed her eyes and leaned her head back, resting her hand over Bucky's shoulder.

"Are you alright Scar?," Bucky turned onto his back and looked up at her with concern, his blue she's searching her face.

"I'm fine, just very tired," Scar replied softly, glancing down at him.

"You can't lie to me, it doesn't work," Bucky raised a brow and took her hand, rubbing his thumb across her knuckles.

"It's just that- I have some things I would like to come clean about," Scar replied, a hint of guilt apparent in her eyes.

"You can tell me any-," Bucky was interrupted by knocking at the door, to which he groaned and rolled off the couch.

Bucky sighed and grumbled to himself, unlocking the door and opening it to find Tony standing there, chewing on his lip.

"Tony... I thought you were stuck at SHIELD," Bucky furrowed his brows but let Tony in, closing the door behind him.

"I got out," Tony replied, his voice was flat and his eyes looked blank.

"Okay..," Bucky replied, looking to Scar with a questioning look.

Bucky sat next to Scar and offered Tony a seat on the chair. Something wasn't right... Tony was very rigid and tense, his normally bright eyes were blank and cold, almost the same as Bucky's when he was the Winter Soldier. Tony's face expressed no emotion, which was slightly creepy.

"Tony, are you feeling ill?," Scar asked with a raised brow, her hand slowly reaching under the pillow.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking," Tony smiled, a dark, malicious smile before pulling out a hand gun and firing it multiple times into Scar's chest.

Scar's eyes were wide with disbelief as she sank back against the couch, blood seeping through her white shirt. Bucky lunged for Tony but was too slow as he took off out the door. Steve must have heard the shots because he had come running out of his apartment to see Bucky running after Tony. Steve quickly ran into Bucky's apartment and called 911, pressing his hands to Scar's wounds to try and stop the bleeding. Her face had drained of color and was a pasty white, her eyes still full of shock and disbelief as she gripped Steve's hand tightly.

Bucky chased Tony as far as he could as fast as he could but Tony was far faster than Bucky had realized. Bucky heard sirens and stopped, growling in frustration as Tony disappeared from sight. He turned and sprinted back to the apartment, quickly running up the stairs.

"Steve is she okay!?," Bucky yelled as he ran in, sliding on his knees to Scar to help Steve try to stop the bleeding.

"I-I don't know Bucky, she's losing blood very quickly," Steve choked on his own words, swallowing hard.

"J... James..," Scar looked to Bucky desperately, reaching a shaking hand down to grip his.

"I'm here, I'm right here, you're going to be okay. You're going to be okay, I promise," Bucky's voice was the last thing that Scar heard before falling into darkness.