Chapter SIX

THE VAMPIRE KING

THE VAMPIRE KING

I did everything in my power to ignore the pull towards the girl. I went to the deck, mingled with the guests, and flirted with the new girls. I didn't like to use my vampire-enthralling gift on them. I was rich and handsome. I had hundreds of women falling at my feet, dreaming of getting into my bed.

I could have been a rock star. Hell, a famous actor! I had the charm and the looks. My only problem was immortality and my thirst for blood. I had to stay away from the cameras and the magazines. It was much easier to be a vampire when the media wasn't always covering the events and looking for gossip. I had to redefine myself ten times in the last century. New names, new identities, new businesses. I even bought magazines and journals to control what the media wrote about when reporting the strange events that happened in Paris.

Having missing girls and gruesome homicides in the news wasn't good for business. But, let's face it. What was the worst that could come from people knowing about our existence? There was already a cult around us. There were a lot of humans who thought of us as gods and dreamed of being loved and fed on by our kind. We would most probably rule the world in fair and democratic elections if we came out of the shadows.

After all, who doesn't dream of being immortal?

I tried hard to keep that girl away from my thoughts. I tried to ignore her presence and pretend her scent wasn't making me go insane. Everywhere I went, I could smell her and know perfectly well where she was standing. The wind seemed to be playing a twisted game with me. I flirted with gorgeous women, much prettier than her. I even took one to my private quarters, so I could drink from her. I thought that I was probably hungry, and her smell was taunting me because of that.

I had no such luck.

Kissing the woman was all but satisfying. Drinking from her was tasteless, and her moans of lust were repulsive to my ears. I had no idea what the hell was going on, but the arrival of Gabby's cousin had just ruined my night!

I sent the woman away, compelling her so she would stop complaining and wouldn't remember the feeding. Then, I called my maker. She was the only one I could trust. Josephine would know what was going on and what to do.

I was right. Something was wrong with the way I was feeling. Apparently, my symptoms meant that I had found my soul-mate. Of course, I didn't tell my master that I was the one experiencing all those side effects. The last thing I needed was a weakness like that. My men and enemies couldn't know anything about the girl. They could use her to undermine my power and have leverage against me.

After half an hour on the phone, I had the solution to my problem. It was quite simple, actually. Vampires had been doing it for ages. My maker had done it to her mate. All I had to do was take the girl to a private place and reject her. That would cut the bond and would set me free. It would also stop my fixation on her and solve my thirst.

Once that was done, everything would go back to normal. No more cravings for her or weird fascination. I just had to reject her and try not to taste a single drop of her blood. It seemed that a mate's blood was the most incredible thing to a vampire. I would be permanently caught under her spell. Therefore, no drinking. After the rejection, I would have to get rid of the girl, send her far away, so I wouldn't fall into temptation in the future.

I had a brilliant plan ahead of me. I had to charm the silly and gullible girl and take her somewhere private to rip my soul from hers. You can only imagine my surprise when she was reluctant to follow me, and I had to enthrall her to get what I wanted! I have gorgeous, important, and famous women at my disposal.

Who the hell does that joke of a girl think she is to deny me anything?