One

There's nothing more beautiful than seeing Sophie all dressed up, a smile on her face and an air of confidence exuding from her

There's nothing more beautiful than seeing Sophie all dressed up, a smile on her face and an air of confidence exuding from her. Granted, she's beautiful all the time but tonight, it's different. It's the first time in months that I've seen her so carefree and not worrying about everything else.

Since the wedding, Sophie's been stressing over all manner of things; if it wasn't work playing on her mind, it was her frantic search for the perfect kitchen for the country house that kept her awake at night. On top of that, there was the baby thing.

Sophie's been dying to get pregnant ever since we married and although we knew it wouldn't be easy for us to conceive, she's taking all the hits to heart. Every month, when her period comes, she gets so disheartened that it will take her days before she can look at me again. Secretly, I think she believes that she's let me down because we're not pregnant yet. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I couldn't give a flying monkey if we have children naturally or if we need to do a few rounds of IVF. We could adopt. A surrogate would be fine, just so long as Sophie starts to smile freely again. I can't bear to see her upset when it's not in her nature to be like that. The only joy she gets is when Alfie and Hetty comfort her on her down days.

But for tonight, we're putting all that aside so we can have fun at the Ball that Sophie and Sam have been busy organising. So much effort has been put into making this Ball even better than the inaugural one last year that I want it to go off without a hitch. Evie has helped out a lot, too, and I know Sam's assistant became involved in the planning recently but tonight was all about Sophie. This was her moment and I would make damned sure that she was the centre of attention. All I ask for in exchange is a glimpse of that smile of hers. 

"Do you think I look ok?" Sophie's voice brakes through my thoughts. I look up and see her in a champagne coloured, beaded vintage gown that was fitted in all the right places, hair styled neatly into waves that frame her face and dramatic make up that gives her an air of Vivien Leigh, circa Gone with the Wind. Her best accessory, however, is that smile. As I said, I've never seen her look more beautiful. "I know it's a little bit tight over my stomach because I've put weight-"

"No!" I snap abruptly. It sounded harsher than it was intended and I instantly felt guilty. Standing from the armchair that's in the corner of the walk-in closet, I close the gap between us and wrap my arms around my wife's waist, pulling her into my chest. "You, Sophie Whitaker, look devastatingly stunning this evening. You always look wonderful to me, my love."

A pink blush flushes her cheeks. Her hands creep up my arms and tickle the back of my neck, a clear sign that she's about to move in for a kiss. And it won't be any just kiss. No, this is one of those that holds within it more than just a kiss. "I'm so glad I married you," she whispers against my lips before hers connect with mine. It's only a brief kiss but I can feel the words that Sophie longs to stay hidden in the sweet gesture. "You know, you look pretty handsome yourself."