Four

The pain in my stomach and around my lower back was becoming impossible to ignore

The pain in my stomach and around my lower back was becoming impossible to ignore. A few times, I almost keeled over from how severe it was but I tried to ignore it for as long as I could. After dinner, and through the pain, I gave the opening address for the Ball, letting everyone know how important it was that we raise as much money as we could for the benefit of others, and then welcomed them to head into the next room to view the presentation. When they all cheered and I left the stage, I doubled over, clutching my abdomen. 

"Soph, that's it, I'm getting Daniel," Emma said, exasperated by how I'd forbidden her from mentioning to anyone else just how bad I was. I grabbed her arm and pulled her back, mainly because I didn't want her getting Daniel but also because this ache was so intense that I was going to fall to the floor if I didn't hold onto something. "Sophie-"

"I'll be fine," I say through gritted teeth. When the pain passes and I'm finally able to stand upright, I plaster on a huge smile and say, "See, I'm alright."

Even though she doesn't fully believe me, she nods and tells me that we should go to the bathroom so that I could freshen up again. We've been in and out all evening, reapplying my make up so that when one coverage melted away, another went on. A few times, we'd seen Martha and Keira in the ladies' room, gossiping about something. The first time, Martha was irate, ranting about Sam and how he was such an arsehole. Keira readily agreed that point. Each time after that, however, all we heard was Keira gushing about her boyfriend, Logan Leahy, and how they were planning a life together. Emma was of the opinion that Keira was well and truly drunk off her face. 

I had to agree. 

"Where are you two off to?" Charlotte asked as we bypassed her. When Emma replied that we were going to the bathroom, Charlotte followed us. "I've been dying to pee all night but I can't go in this damned dress. Emma, you're going to have to come into the stall with me and hold up all this material."

Emma scoffed. "No chance. You didn't do that for me on my wedding day so I won't be doing it for you tonight. Do what I had to do and use the toilet back to front. Most of the fabric bulks up at the back so think of it as reverse cowgirl."

I laughed at Emma's comment but the little old lady that walked by just as my youngest sister said those words, well, she didn't find it as amusing. She turned to Constance Courtenay, Daniel's grandmother, and began to loudly explain that this is what is wrong with the youth of today. Connie nodded in agreement before looking over her shoulder as she walked away, winking at us. She probably would have said something similar to Emma if she was part of the conversation. 

Entering the bathroom, Charlotte took Emma's advice and used the little girl's room as directed. While Charlotte was in the stall, giving us a running commentary about how Emma's advice was actually quite good, Emma began to reapply my make up, keeping it simple yet striking. I had to stop her a few times so I could compose myself, gripping the basin of the sink in front of me. All the time, Emma was begging me to let her go and fetch Daniel. The answer was always 'no.'