Chapter One

There was something oddly satisfying about a cigarette that Daryl Dixon just couldn't put his finger on. Not that he chose to smoke often, such being hard to come by nowadays. But in this moment, he needed something to clear his mind from any and all thoughts. He inhaled deeply, the object protruding from his lips as the fragmented, earthy smoke invaded his lungs. It felt good, calming in its own way as he withdrew the cigarette and blew a white, rolling mist into the atmosphere, watching as it dissipated into the air. They used to say it caused cancer. That it killed. But now, so much more could do the exact same dreaded task. And this seemed far lesser than many other evils.

He glanced up, eyes following the tall, foreboding structure that stood before him. A wall, completely surrounding the entire perimeter of Hurndon, some weirdly named town in what he assumed was located in what once was Jackson, Mississippi. It seemed like years ago that he had found his way here, belly empty, limbs aching from the miles and miles of walking and running he'd been forced to do. But really, he was nearly positive it had been but eight or nine months. Several years. Years of fighting and escaping the thousands of creatures that began to swallow the once valiant human race whole. An outbreak that had devastated the very likes of history and everything that would follow. Alone he had come here out of desperation, seeking refuge after losing so much. Never realizing that with the end of human kind, came the great loss of humanity.

Daryl took another long drag from his cigarette, mouth twitching into a deep frown as he continued to eye his imprisonment. If he had known back then what he did now, he'd rather join the race of walkers than seek the unholy sanctuary he was located in now. Fear turned people into animals, primitive instincts taking over rational thought. His fingers dug into the palm of his free hand, anger boiling from the pit of his stomach as he glared at the wall. At the incarceration he now called home. Sometimes death was such a better option than being a coward.

"I guess a round of congratulations is in order?"

The voice came from behind, humorless but still holding a tone of friendship. Daryl turned, cigarette withdrawn from his mouth as he met the familiar gaze of Carol Peletier. The woman stood before him, gray hair damp, face slightly dusted with dirt. She was a few years his senior, coming to this place not long before he did. Out of everyone else, she was the only one Daryl consider to be relatively close to a friend. Like him, she too had lost a great deal. A daughter. A husband-a man she'd later share over a half cobwebbed bottle of whisky was nothing more than an abusive son of a bitch. But still, like he had, she had suffered greatly.

"Ain't like this was my choice," he muttered, kicking at a stone that sat before him. "Ain't like I wanted this."

"I know," Carol murmured, eyes following the rock as it tumbled a few feet away. "I'm sorry."

Daryl inhaled heavily, letting the cigarette fall from his fingers before crushing it with his foot. It had only been a few days since he found out, a few days since life as he knew it would change once again forever. It had come in envelope, that's how he knew it was important. No one ever bothered to send him mail, or rather, no one of standard status had the means of acquiring such a form of paper. It had been relatively brief, getting immediately to the point with a date and time as to when his presence was required in the once church, now makeshift house of government. Mandatory. No excuses. Everything had been arranged behind his back and only now was he given the "privilege" to learn his fate.

"She's eighteen," he swallowed, teeth ground together. "She's just a kid."

"It's not right," Carol agreed, looking to Daryl. "None of this is, Daryl. But don't think for one second that because this is happening, you become anything less than of the man you already are. This isn't your fault."