• 6/10 • Crow's Call

"Drown" by Seafret

✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️

Sunday: October 30, 1994
9:29 AM

Waking up in Scott's bedroom was strange. For a moment I forgot where I was, but then I looked up at his star-coated ceiling.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. When I looked over to Scott's bed, I found it was empty and unmade. I pulled myself off the floor to go find him.

As soon as I passed through his door, I could smell bacon. I followed the scent and the sound of the sizzle until I reached the kitchen, where I discovered Scott working over a stove. He looked up at me and half smiled.

"Morning," he said with a wink. "I made breakfast for two, forgetting that you can't, you know, eat. Sorry."

I laughed. "It's fine, Scott. I appreciate the thought."

I was being modest. I wished I could eat now more than ever. The smell of the bacon and sight of his scrambled eggs made my mouth water. But aside from that, it was actually kind of nice never getting hungry. It was convenient, but I did miss eating.

I thought about my favorite food: Hawaiian pizza. Oh god, I would never taste it again. The thought crushed me.

Scott must've noticed the pain in my expression. "You okay?" he asked.

I nodded quickly. "I'm fine," I lied.

"So my dad never made it home last night," he explained. "He's still stuck at the station. Mind if I bring him some breakfast?"

"Yeah, no problem. What's today's game plan?"

He flipped over the sizzling bacon before answering. "We have a few hours before I head to work, so I was thinking the library would be a good start. We could see what we can dig up on Morrigan and witches and all that. I could try using the computer to see if anything comes up."

I nodded. "Sounds perfect."

He finished up cooking breakfast and choked his portion down in less than two minutes. He put the rest on a plate and wrapped it up for his dad. Hardly a few minutes later, we were both seated in his truck, heading across town to the police station.

It was once we reached Chestnut Street that my eyes quickly landed on Karen. She was walking down the sidewalk, textbooks in hand. I remembered that she'd signed up to tutor some of the younger students on Saturdays, so that must have been where she was headed. She was always looking for some volunteer work to occupy her time.

"You miss her, yeah?"

I looked over at him, but his eyes were back on the road. He was surprisingly observant for such an introvert. I never said anything to him about Karen, so he must have noticed us together when I was still alive.

"I do," I finally answered. "A lot."

"Carrie, isn't it?"

"Karen," I corrected him with the ghost of a smile. "She's been my best friend since preschool."

He glanced at me with tight lips. "She must be hurting pretty bad too."