Chapter 5

It turns out Jinx had a lot of classes with her new friends.

She was having a good time, getting to know everyone, though she was wary of Wally.

But then the final bell rang and she was reminded of what her life was really like.

Not the nirvana that was being with her new found friends.

Crap.

Jinx didn't want the day to end.

The group asked if she wanted to hang out after school but it was a work day and she still needed to pick up Cleo so she offered a different time and started walking back to Cleo's school.

Jinx picked her up from school and listened to her rant about her friends and children's drama.

By the end of the walk Jinx was carrying Cleo, but they still made it.

To her home away from, well, home.

Envy's Tattoos and Piercings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jinx stepped inside and set Cleo down, she immediately ran off to play and Jinx headed to her desk.

She checked the notes left from a few days ago and started sketching.

Apparently some guy wanted some sort of unicorn tattoo or something?

Jinx started out simple.

But it turns out drawing unicorns is a lot more entertaining than it looks, so pretty quickly her notebook was completely filled with unicorn sketches.

Jinx finished the last sketch just as her fellow tattooist, Bumble Bee knocked on her desk

"Hey Bee." Jinx greeted.

"What's up Jinx?" Bee responded with a yawn.

She must have stayed up all night again.

Bee is the tattoo parlor's manager and the person that helps assign you to a person to tattoo or pierce.

The girls knew each other from her old school, the one Jinx was expelled from.

"Any new requests worth sharing?" Jinx asked.

"I got the usual plain requests... Did you like the unicorn guy I assigned you?" She suddenly asked laughing.

"Yeah I did, and unicorns are now my favorite kind of tattoo." Jinx chuckled.

"Maybe you should get one!" She said laughing. Jinx rolled her eyes playfully.

"Don't tempt me" Jinx cackled.

"Piercings Jinx!" Called boss from up front.

"See you later Bee!" Jinx said, leaving her desk.

There was a bulky guy with a bunch of tattoos but with no piercings.

"Come on Dude I'll get your ears all spiky for you." Jinx assured, leading him to her booth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
Turns out the huge guy was afraid of needles.

But Jinx settled the issue quickly by pep talking him with only a few threats.

The shop was closing up, it had taken forever for the guy to even let her near him, much less pierce him.

She'd also had a few regulars come in.

Jinx said bye to her boss and Bee, then she collected Cleo and prepared herself for whatever would happen at the house.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -
As they walked up the driveway the tension was high and Cleo was slightly shaking.

Jinx rubbed her head and smiled.

"I won't let anything happen to you kiddo." She assured.

Then painstakingly slowly, stiff from having her pain killers wear off, Jinx climbed to the top of the tree

She climbed through the window.

Landing on her feet she let out a sigh, setting Cleo on the ground.

They got ready for bed quietly, ignoring the sounds of people downstairs.

Then in their pajamas they did their homework, Jinx had to do well in school or she'd never get out of here.

Once they were done they climbed onto their mattress and pulled the blankets over themselves.

"You okay Cleo?" She asked gently, Cleo rubbing her eyes.

Cleo was sad, Jinx could tell but she looked up at Jinx and smiled shakily.

"Sorry about this morning," The girl said sadly, "Thank you for staying with me."

Jinx wrapped her in a hug.

Jinx patted her head. "Of course Cleo, I will always protect you."

"And someone has to take care of you, you little rebel." She continued, slightly laughing.

"I wanna be strong just like you!" Cleo said determinedly.

Jinx felt her eyes water.

She thinks I'm strong?

Jinx smiled and rubbed her back.

"You can be just like me, but you'll also have to be like you." Jinx whispered in her ear.

She nodded and Jinx sighed.

"Okay kid, close your eyes. You're exhausted." She said as the two sister settled.