Reminder#285

◇ بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم ◇

" Muharram is the month in which justice rose again injustice and truth stood up against falsehood and proved that, in the course of history, Truth has always triumphed over falsehood. "

The tenth day of the first month of the Islamic lunar calendar marks a significant day in the Muslim calendar.

The tenth of Muharram is the day on which, Allah saved Prophet Moses/Musa (as) from the tyrannical Pharaoh, that archetype of despotic authority. There are many pharaoh-like authorities who have appeared through history and there were those incorrigible standard-bearers of justice who opposed them.
In the post-Prophetic period, one such person was Imam Hussain (as)who, took on the corruption of despotic Yazid and laid down his life on tenth Muharram in 61 AH (680 CE); an event that serves as a milestone in the history of the faithful; the martyrdom of the beloved grandson of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) at Karbala in Iraq.

The valiant Prophet Moses did not fight Pharaoh to become king, neither did the righteous Imam Hussain take on the army of the corrupt Yazid merely to become caliph.
Their effort was in fulfillment of moral obligation which serves as a universal message which has left a lasting legacy of struggle and resistance against corruption and injustice.
The lesson is not only in that they were prepared to fight for what is right, but were also willing to die for it; selflessness not selfishness, humility not ego, principle not power.

Also On this day:
- Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) accepted the repentance of Sayyidina Adam ('Alaihis-Salaam) after his exile from Paradise.
- Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) saved Sayyidina Nuh ('Alaihis-Salaam) and his companions in the ark.
- Allah extinguished the fire in which Sayyidina Ibrahim ('Alaihis-Salaam) was thrown by Nimrod.
- On this same 10th of Muharram, Sayyidina Ayyub ('Alaihis-Salaam) was restored to health (from leprosy).
- Sayyidina Yusuf ('Alaihis-Salaam) was reunited with his father Ya’qub ('Alaihis-Salaam).
- Sayyidina Yunus ('Alaihis-Salaam) was taken out from the belly of the fish.
- ‘Ashura is also the day when Sayyidina Dawud ('Alaihis-Salaam) was forgiven, the kingdom of Sulaiman ('Alaihis-Salaam) was restored and Sayyidina Isa ('Alaihis-Salaam) was raised to Jannah.

And Allah knows the best.