1: History

2 years ago

"Alister, we got a newbie, she used to be a marine" Drew's fellow army medic says walking over to him.

"Why'd she leave the marines?" He asks

"I left because I need a break and wanted to pursue my dream of beings battlefield medic, I wanted some time to be with my kids, and my dog, she had to retire from the marines, but I take her everywhere with me and she can still work so I got the army's permission to have her here." A woman says.

"I'm sorry. I'm Captain Drew Alister, nice to meet you" Drew says shaking the woman's hand.

"Major Kate Jones, this is Bear" Major Jones says introducing herself as well as her German Shepard that is lying on the ground beside her.

"Nice to meet you bear" Drew says bending down petting the dog who's head was now up off the ground.

"So when's your tour over" Kate asks as they start walking threw the supplies yard.

"A month and a half" Drew says looking down, hands in his pocket.

Bears ears flicker and her body language changes.

"What is it bear?" Kate asks. "Drew go get vests, helmets and rifles"

Drew comes back moments later, "Here let me help"

He helps Kate fasten her vest on.

"Seek" She commands letting Bear loose from her leash.

The dog whines sitting down afterwards.

"Drew we got a bomb, get the bomb techs over here" Kate yells staying put with Bear.

"What do we got" a man yells coming over to her.

"Explosive, unknown type" She replies.

"Major Jones, you can take your dog and get outta of here, we got it" the man says

Kate puts the leash back on bear before leaving going to the safe distance from the bomb.

xxxxxxxxxx

The fire that night was started be the men of the base. Keep in mind there were few women.

It burned bright behind her as she sat at a table under the makeshift awning of the housing unit.

"What's on your mind" Drew asks pulling up a seat sitting next to her.

"I miss my kids" Kate confesses.

"I miss my job at San Antonio Memorial" Drew says with a chuckle.

"When I get back I'm gonna go back to being a firefighter." Kate says.

"Where do you live?" Drew asks.

"Funny thing, San Antonio" Kate replies.

"I'll see you around for sure then" Drew remarks.

"These are my kids" Kate says pulling out two pictures from a book she had on the table.

"That's Amber" She says handing Drew that picture. "And this is Jade"

"How old are they?" Drew asks

"Jades 14 , Ambers 12" Kate responds.

"Hey Drew" A lady Kate doesn't know says coming over to the two of them.

"Hey Syd, this is Major" Drew starts.

"Major Kate Jones, heard great things" Syd says.

"I'm got go take a shower and hit the hay" Kate says, saying her goodbyes.

xxxxxxxxxx

3 weeks later

"Alister, Jones with me on the North side" the group leader says. Yes, Drew and Kate went on a mission as medics Incase something were to happen.

That's when a bomb goes off.

xxxxxxxxxx

"Where are we" Kate asks Drew who's awake in the room beside her. We got sent home, welcome to Southwest General Hospital" He says

xx END FLASHBACK xx