Silent Truths, Loud Lies ((Name Suggestion?)) Chapter 8

Quick note. I am a TEENAGER and thus, have no experience with being drunk. So... if the scene below seems wrong compared to what SHOULD happen when someone's drunk, tell me please. ^^

_________________________________________________

HIM

Saturday came, and along with it Catherine's party. I wanted nothing but to stay home and maybe indulge in some videogames but it reminded me of something I'd said to Renata before the accident. And changing how I was now that she had no recollection of me was pretty unfair. Renata was at her house, seeing as no one had decided to repossess it for the time being, getting ready for Cathy's 'great' party. I don't think I understand her anymore.

In the past week, she's been ignoring me. Not only that, but when I asked her about what happened to her friends from gym - I HAD to ask her!- she just said simply, 'Friends? I don't remember having any other friend besides you.' The answer had enraged me - don't ask why- leaving me fuming. Before I could ask her anything else though, she was gone. She'd literally ditched me.

What's worse, I haven't found anything in the library and have been unable to for the past few days. It annoyed the heck out of me -and my stomach- when I spent the whole lunch period in there, looking through things that could maybe be connected to the two and found nothing every time. Then during algebra, Renata suddenly took the seat at the front of the class, far from me and closer to the other quiet girl of the school. I think her name was Amina.

Other than that, it was quiet at school. No one -meaning Jake- tried to pick a fight with me. The gym teachers were done with testing my resolve and the classes just got easier and easier. Everything was pretty much 'perfect'. Not to mention, girls ogled me more still. It was so different to what I was accustomed to. People didn't hate me, didn't beat on me. Girl's didn't sneer every time they saw me, sparking up conversations that started with, "He did this," or "I heard that." No more of any of it. Yet Renata was still plagued by her past.

"Why did you have to make me come?" I asked no one, staring at my reflection. I wore normal clothes. Some jeans, a T-shirt; nothing special, really. Why I didn't attempt dressing up for something so stupid as this was obvious. I didn't want the attention.

So tell me why, that when I go over to Renata's house, she's wearing something of a dress, though a little smaller - stopping mid-thigh- that was black in color and strapless. To complete it all, she had a black bag that I think is some kind of designer brand, stuffed with something grey in it. "It's a sweatshirt, just in case I get cold," she explained, catching my eyes.

"Ok... well, this address is somewhere in Chicago, so we're going to have to take a train." Chicago. Why would a girl like Catherine set up her party in Chicago, is the thing that kept pestering me on the way there. We sat next to each other, Renata uncharacteristically -for now- quiet. She kept looking down at her left hand though, leaving me curious. She wasn't holding anything, so why the interest? Why was I interested? I looked away from her finally, growing frustrated with myself.

"Attention passengers..." started the intercom, our signal to get off.

I stood up and offered a hand to Renata who was still staring at nothing. "Renata?" Her head snapped up, eyes in a daze. "Time to get off. Come on." I took her hand, no longer in the mood to wait and pulled her along. Those large brown eyes kept that dazed quality the whole walk through the train station and outside, in the streets of Chicago. By now, the sun was going down and most streetlamps- those which worked, anyway- turned on.

We stopped at a large house that was cramped in between two apartment complexes. The address on it matched the one that Cathy had given me. "This is it." I looked at Renata, whose eyes were still somewhere else. Her mouth hung open, lips puffing out for no reason. Temptation crept under my skin. "Come on, you're the one who wanted to come here, right?"