2x19; the dirty half-dozen

"But you really used to be Crossfire's partner?" Hunter asked.

It had to be the fifth time. Mara hadn't been counting, but she should've. There wasn't much to do while stuck in the back of a quinjet with Ward - aside from bask in the tension. Oh, and talk to Fitz and Hunter, but the latter seemed keen on just one thing.

"I mean, when you mentioned it the first time, I thought you were bloody joking," Hunter continued when neither Mara nor Fitz stopped him. "Wait- was that what you were up to when everyone thought you died?"

The agent in question just let out a harsh sigh. "It's a bit more complicated than that," Mara muttered. Before Hunter could ask for a sixth time, Mara cut him off. "Fitz...you alright over there?"

Even before he spoke, it was clear that he wasn't. His grip on the seat was strong enough to turn his knuckles white, and he was so focused on Ward he nearly missed Mara's question. "What?" He managed a second too late. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's just...does it have to be him?"

"Don't worry, I don't think he'll be messing with you again after you went for him," Hunter told Fitz. If Mara wasn't mistaken, there was a distinct note of pride in his voice. However, that wasn't the most important takeaway from that exchange.

"What happened earlier?" Mara asked, glancing between the two men. Oh, she did not like the sound of that.

While Fitz let out an angry breath to calm himself, Hunter just waved off her concern. "Ward was just, you know, being Ward," He explained. "Didn't threaten Fitz outright, but..."

Now Fitz wasn't the only one simmering. Mara hadn't been there when Ward betrayed them, but she saw the aftermath and heard the stories. Got to watch Fitz struggle through his recovery and Simmons try to push away everyone on the team. Then there was the fact that she'd known Ward once upon a time, which made it a little personal for her too. And they said Crossfire left behind a wake of destruction.

"You know what? Ward and I shared a mentor way back when," Mara spoke up, fighting to keep her voice even. She turned to Fitz, giving him a look that wasn't quite a smile. "Let's see if I can talk some sense into him."

Before either of the boys could say anything, she was already walking over to Ward. He was decidedly faced away from them, cleaning his guns, and refused to turn back even when Mara was close enough for him to feel her presence. She tapped her foot twice before Ward actually spun in her direction. He was clearly ready to deal with one of the guys, but when his gaze landed on Mara, his expression began to change.

"Mara, it's been a while," Ward smiled. No, that was distinctly a smirk. No genuine smile held that much arrogance. Funny how such a simple gesture could put Mara so on edge. "Or should I say, Agent Salom-"

"Don't you dare call me that," Mara cut across his words with a sudden ferocity, voice too quiet to be heard by the other occupants of the room. "I am not that person anymore and I never will be again." Until that moment she had been holding it together, but the second Ward brought up her alias, it all broke through. In under a second, she was inches from the Hydra agent's chest, threatening hand pointed towards his face.

Ward almost flinched, but his smirk didn't break. "Ah, yes, I heard what Garrett did to you," He nodded, more to himself than her.

"Then you know just what I can do," Mara said, her voice low. For just a moment, she let the fire burning in her veins overwhelm her, eyes glowing amber. "I wouldn't be in a position to make flippant remarks were you."

"But I can see it in your eyes," Ward replied, leaning in close enough for Mara to count the small scars marking his face. "You may have a lot of bravado, but you're shaking right now and the look on your face isn't anger. It's fear. You're afraid of me, Mara."