2x20; scars

It wasn't often that Mara found herself on the roof of the Playground though she did so occasionally. There was quite literally nothing up there. All the better, really, considering this was a secret base for an international intelligence organization. And because there was nothing up there, there was no reason for her to be up there either.

Except for the fresh air, of course. Sometimes, having a windowless bedroom just got to her. That, and in moments where Mara felt the blood flare in her veins, she found a cool breeze worked wonders. The roof was a nice escape in that no one else really went up there, so she could go to be alone.

There were cameras watching her every move, she was sure, but Mara liked to pretend no one knew where she was. And after a week aboard a ship, being constantly monitored by all the agents from the other SHIELD faction, Mara was ready to be alone, unwatched and free. At least for a little while.

The sound of the roof doors cracking open caught Mara's attention, dragging her out of her peaceful fantasy. "Agent Arany?" Someone called. Mara recognized May's voice immediately.

"Over here," Mara replied, waving to get the senior agent's attention. She began walking over, adding, "I just needed a moment alone outside. Not really a big fan of ships."

There was a lot more to that statement that went unspoken, but if May's nod was any indication, she understood. "We've finalized the plans for our meeting with Jiaying and her people," May explained, never one to mince words. "Weaver suggesting bringing Crossfire along to show we have powered humans on our side as well." She paused before saying, "Skye was only surprised to learn you had powers."

Mara hesitated for a moment, then a look of relief washed over her features. "Right, I've been trying to tell everyone on the base about that," She muttered, chuckling to herself. "Not everything just yet, but piece by piece."

"She did ask one question I didn't know the answer to," May sounded almost unsure about asking it herself. Curious, Mara gave a nod for her to continue. "Gabi Salomon...why did you choose that as your alias?"

Ah, that. As it stood, only Aiden knew the answer to that one. But it wasn't some big terrible secret, and Mara found herself smiling as she worked out her response. "It's a pretty weak alias, actually. Gabi is my middle name and comes from my father's nickname. Salomon was my mother's maiden name," Mara answered. "I knew a little bit about what I would be getting into when I signed onto the Crossfire Program and- I don't know, they give you a codename and suddenly you're not a person anymore, you're a symbol. I didn't want to erase what made me who I am...Was that what it was like when you became the Cavalry?"

May said nothing in response. She didn't need to. They way her eyes flickered for a split-second told Mara everything. "So can we expect you at the meeting today?" She asked instead.

Unsure of what else to say, Mara just nodded. It was only a meeting, not a fight, and she could definitely handle that. Then, halfway to the stairs, a thought struck her.

"May, wait!" She called, and the agent spun on her heel. Suddenly, Mara didn't feel as confident. "Skye has powers too now, right? I know a little bit about what that's like and..." Mara trailed off, sighing. "There wasn't anyone who stuck with me for the before and the after. And look how I turned out." She bit her lip, the fear of overstepping holding her back. "She's going to need someone to help her through it. Promise me you'll be there for her?"

"I'm her S.O. Just because she can create earthquakes now doesn't change that," May stated, her voice steely. Mara nearly flinched before she continued, "And for the record...I think you turned out fine."

With that, May turned back around and exited the roof, leaving Mara by herself. Out of sight from everyone, Mara allowed herself to smile.