Chapter 50

With Shelby on a team the entire summer, Luke couldn't take her camping until the very last weekend before school started, and it was just overnight, returning Sunday afternoon. Later, at bedtime, they got Shelby's backpack ready, packing all the school supplies Lorelai had gotten when they went shopping. Luke tried offering to pay her back for them but Lorelai wouldn't let him.

Luke had Shelby help him organize everything inside her brand new basketball backpack, putting the pencils, colored pencils, kid scissors, and glue stick in a camouflage pencil box.

As he zipped the backpack closed, Luke called over to where Jess laid on his bed, reading, "Do you have everything you need for your classes?"

"Yep," Jess called back.

"You sure? I can help ya out if you need anything," he offered.

"Nope, I'm good."

Luke passed Shelby's backpack to her, telling her to go hang it up by the door. Doing as she was told, Shelby took her backpack over to hang it on its hook, returning afterwards. Luke was the first one up the next morning, getting Shelby up once he was dressed.

Shelby picked out her Connecticut Huskies jersey and sky blue basketball shorts for her first day. While she got dressed and put her shoes on, Luke headed downstairs to open the diner and fix her breakfast, making sure Shelby ate a balanced meal.

Shelby came downstairs when the food was just about done already wearing her backpack on her back and her baseball cap on her head, backwards like always. "I'm ready, Dad," she told him as Luke was bringing the donut case out, setting it on the counter beside the register.

"Find somewhere to sit, kiddo," he told her. "I'll bring you out your breakfast." He headed back into the kitchen. Once the food was all finished, he scooped it all onto a plate and took it out to where Shelby was sitting a table. Unfortunately, that morning in particular, the Gilmores didn't stop by for breakfast. Shelby knew they didn't always stop by every time but she hoped that morning they'd be there.

"I wan-ted Lor-lai to come too," Shelby told him when he returned to check on her later when a few customers were there.

"How come you didn't say anything to her the last time you saw her?" he asked.

"I didn' tink abou' i' ten." She stared up at him, pitifully.

"Aw, I'm sorry, kiddo." He held a kiss to her head. "I'm here at least, right?"

Shelby nodded, but it didn't perk her up.

When it was time to leave, Luke left Caesar in charge while he took Shelby to school. Outside, Luke had her stand in front of the diner. Having gotten a disposable camera from Doose's, he had Shelby pose for a picture since Rachel wasn't there with her camera. Though he probably wouldn't admit it, Luke wanted a memento of his daughter, growing up, to hold on to something. Afterwards, they finally headed for the school, taking his truck this time.

The second grade classrooms were on the other side from the first grade classrooms. Luke stopped at the second grade bulletin board where the classes were posted and scanned the students' names until he found Shelby's. Hers was on the third list, finding it with the new teacher. Not only did Shelby have the new teacher, she also had a male teacher this year, as well.

"Looks like your teacher is Mr. Harris," Luke told her. 

Shelby held onto his hand, nervously, not letting go even when they made their way over to the classroom. All of the classroom doors were propped open. Sticking his head inside, first, Luke walked in, feeling Shelby cling to his side.