Chapter 55

Since it was October once again, that meant Stars Hollow was decorated for not only fall but also Halloween. Pumpkins and bales of hay were all around town and Halloween decorations covered stores and homes.

Shelby was finding it difficult deciding what she wanted to dress up as for Halloween. They discussed it as she sat at the counter while Luke was standing there. She first thought of being a basketball player, but Luke told her it was too cold to wear shorts.

"Oh," she said when another idea popped into her head. "I can be Captain Underpan's." Shelby giggled after she said that.

Luke leaned on the counter, looking at her. "You can not be Captain Underpants."

She continued to giggle. "Why no'?"

He raised his eyebrows as he said, "Because Captain Underpants runs around in a towel and his underpants."

"I's no' a towel. I's a cur-tain," Shelby corrected him.

"Regardless of what it is, you cannot dress up as him."

Giggling some more, she repeated her question of "why no'."

"Shelby," he warned, now holding a firm tone to let her know he was serious.

Shelby gave a forced mock sigh. "Fine," she gave in. "Wha' abou' Harry Po'ter? Can I be him?"

Luke shrugged. "Yeah, that would be fine. Either this weekend or the weekend after, we'll go see if we can find a costume. How's that?"

She nodded. "Okay."

Luke leaned in, lowering his head towards hers to touch foreheads. It made her smile. That was pretty much their thing by this point. He still could not believe this was the same kid he met almost two years ago. She was growing up way too fast for his liking.

Thursday afternoon, Jess picked Shelby up from school but told Luke he had to do it, Friday, to go pick up her Pokémon cards. Apparently, she and the boys were doing some trading during class when they weren't supposed to. Luke thanked Jess, and told Shelby he was taking them away for two weeks, starting Friday. Shelby didn't like it, but he reminded her there were consequences for her actions, whether good or bad. However, her spirits lifted when he came to pick her up after school on Friday.

"Dad! Dad! Guess wha'."

Luke lifted her up, being careful since her arm was still in the cast. "What?" He smiled.

Shelby opened her mouth, touching her finger to yet another loose tooth. "My second one." The first one had finally fallen out. Of all the ways that could have done it, it was by junk food while at Lorelai's house, which Luke pointed out to Lorelai in a rant about junk food and teeth. "And ta's no' all."

"More good news?" he asked, surprised. "Boy, this is a good day for you, huh?"

She nodded. "We're gonna have a gues' tis weekend, too."

"Oh? Does Ethan and Alan want to come over?"

She shook her head, now wearing a smirk.

About that time, Mr. Harris came over, carrying a wire pet cage along with a clear, see-through blue ball under his arm. When he got close, Luke saw a tiny, furry hamster snoozing away in a corner of the cage, burrowed in the bedding.

"What is that?" Luke questioned, even though he already knew what it was.

"This is Harvey, our class hamster," he explained. "I let the kids take turns taking him home over the weekend, and this weekend is Shelby's turn."