Four

"Do you want anything? Paracetamol, something to drink, a hot water bottle?"

Daniella perched on the end of Nik's bed, ready to jump off at a moment's notice if the contents of his stomach made another appearance.

After he had ran out, she'd spent several insufferable minutes in the presence of his father. Mr Vasilescu had seemed intent on acting as though nothing at all had happened. It hadn't taken her long to decide that even if Nik was horribly unwell, she'd rather risk catching a bug than be around his father a second longer.

"Honestly Dan, I'm fine. I just need sleep."

She took that as a hint for her to leave, but she was hesitant. It would be rude for her to sit in her room, but she didn't want to be around her friend's parents alone.

"If you want some space, I can bugger off. Would you mind if I still went out?"

"I'm hardly going to be good company tonight, so you may as well," Nik said. He'd already resigned himself to a night in bed, having curled comfortably under his duvet.

"I'll check on you in the morning. Call me if you need me."

The two of them had already planned to go out for the evening to meet up with some of her old school friends. It had been a few months since she'd seen them, having gotten wrapped up in her studies and not had the time to travel out to Essex to visit. Nik hadn't met them before but had been interested in finding out a little more about Daniella from them. Despite their close friendship, there was a lot about her past that she hadn't told him.

In a simple red cocktail dress and matching heels, Daniella had emerged from the guest room ready to let loose. Her blonde hair was worn in waves stretching down to the middle of her back, its light colour contrasting with her subtle smokey makeup. She'd attempted to say goodbye to Nik, but he'd looked so peaceful in sleep that she hadn't dared wake him.

As she walked down the hall, her heels click-clacking against the wood floor, Mr Vasilescu appeared leaning on the doorway to the lounge. Dressed in lounge trousers and a plain white tee, he still looked impossibly well groomed and handsome. His eyes raked up and down her body slowly, lingering around the revealing neckline of her dress, and he smiled lasciviously.

"Going anywhere nice?"

"To a bar."

Not that it's any of your business, she'd wanted to add.

"Meeting up with your boyfriend?"

"Some old friends from school, actually."

Mr Vasilescu nodded slowly as he looked into the distance, deliberating something. As silence settled around them, he pushed off the doorframe and plucked his car keys from the nearby console table.

"I'll drive you."

"Oh no, that's no necessary Mr Vasilescu. I've ordered a taxi."

Daniella couldn't imagine much worse than being stuck in a car with him. The thrill she got when she looked at him, along with his frosty personality, would make the ride excruciating.

"It wasn't a question - I'm taking you. The taxi driver will probably get lost trying to find the house anyway."

Realising he wasn't taking no for an answer, Daniella reluctantly followed him to the garage, each of his long strides travelling the same distance as 2 of hers.

His car was just as ostentatious as she'd expected it to be: a cobalt blue Aston Martin DB11. She hadn't wanted to give him the satisfaction of being impressed by it, but he could clearly see the glint in her eye as she surveyed it.

"I run a prestige car dealership - cars are my passion."

Mr Vasilescu divulging even a small piece of information about himself had gave Daniella a strange feeling in her gut. It started out as a small flutter, but once she'd caught his eye and seen the full-blown smile he was wearing as he admired his car, it evolved into her insides doing flips.

The ride was exhilarating. Whether it was the speed at which they weaved through the country roads, or the intimate proximity to Mr Vasilescu, Daniella didn't know. Either way, the adrenaline coursing through her veins was something she could get used to. It didn't stop her from feeling guilty, though - Eva was so lovely, and although most women probably reacted to Mr Vasilescu like this, it felt as though she was betraying the woman's hospitality and kindness by admiring him.

It's not as though I've thought of him inappropriately, Daniella thought. As she glanced sideways at Mr Vasilescu's profile, she admired the strong set of his jaw. Even now, devoid of his stubborn pout, his lips were full and protruding. They looked soft and welcoming, but Daniella couldn't imagine herself kissing them - could she?

Her gaze lingered on him a little too long, and Mr Vasilescu turned to meet it. Having been caught, she blushed furiously.

"I know you're enjoying the ride, but if you want to see your friends any time soon you're probably going to have to tell me where to go."

"Huh?" Daniella asked, trying to shake herself from her own thoughts.

"I've been driving in circles around town for 15 minutes."

Doubly embarrassed, she instructed him towards the bar in Colchester town centre. They went back to sitting in silence, only the sound of the engine and the quiet hum of the radio interrupting it. As they pulled up outside, his car was gaining looks of astonishment from everyone that passed. Most of the women passing weren't sure what to stare at more: the car or the owner. Mr Vasilescu seemed unfazed, clearly used to this sort of attention.

To Daniella's surprise, he jumped out of the car to open the passenger side door for her. She'd garnered looks of envy from onlooking women as she stepped out, suddenly feeling self conscious as she tried to exit the car without flashing anything. The dress was too short, she decided.

"Thank you, Mr Vasilescu."

"Don't mistake this for anything but chivalry. I still want you out of my house."

They were back to square one.

Author's Note:

Hey,

So I'm really happy at how this has been received in less than a week!

I'll be updating at least once a week, probably each weekend. Whilst you're waiting for updates, I have another book called The Tenant that is also mature, but very fast paced ;) Check it out.

Thank for reading!

Hayles <3