CHAPTER 7 - The Real Slim Shady (AKA I'm The Real Shady, Sammy)

{June, 1909}

The hunt was going poorly.

Gabriel crouched behind a wooden box, his Mauser held tight against his chest with one finger itching to pull the trigger. Admitted, the shot of salt-water coated iron would be useless at the moment, but he wanted to.

He glanced to the lanky blond teen who held a bag of salt and a similarly iron-salt coated sidearm, Sol making a few quick hand gestures to move forward. Gabriel boosted to his feet, remaining low and balanced as he dashed forward, followed by Sol, the pair hiding behind a second crate. "Where's Alpha?" Gabriel hissed at him.

"Not sure." Sol answered, stretching his neck to peer around the corner, snapping back to look at Gabriel swiftly. "At least three of them out there. You gonna be good with that?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "I've been hunting longer than you've been alive." He whispered. "You kids need to get on my level."

"I'm sure, we'll think about that in about a second, when Alpha's done with the ground level demons." Sol agreed placatingly, right before a single shot rang out.

The first demon, a guard, went down like a sack of potatoes.

The other two jumped as he fell, searching the overhead beams for the black shape that would betray the sniper's location, which was when Gabriel and Sol moved.

A few shots and a quick finisher with his angel blade, Gabriel was waving to the ceiling of the warehouse, it's tin roof preventing him from seeing where Alpha was hiding at all. "Next shot's yours, kiddo. Go get the big one down, we'll get the others." He whisper-shouted, the words greeted with a soft slipping noise.

Sol and Gabriel leaned on the wall beside the door, waiting for the shots that would declare their time to come in.

"Well, got any good jokes?" Gabriel questioned quietly as they rested and listened.

"Really, Gabriel?" Sol turned to face him, an eyebrow raised. "Can you be serious for more than two minutes in a firefight?"

"Nope." Gabriel answered, a little too confidently. "Besides, I thought kids your age liked jokes."

"Not jokes from before I was born." Sol huffed, pulling out one of their potion smoke-bombs, custom made by De'van.

"I know, that's why I asked you about any jokes you knew!"

Sol chuckled lightly at that.

Then the shot came.

Sol lobbed the smoke-bomb over the wall, the glass shattering and slow, soft tendrils of thick grey smog leaking over the walls as chaos reigned inside the boxed off area, Alpha having obviously dropped into the fray, slaughtering the demons wholesale and ignoring the human hostages, avoiding the one they had been sent to capture.

Gabriel hummed a tune he had heard De'van singing the other day, pacing slowly while Sol fiddled with the Enochian handcuffs he brought along.

"Boys!" Alpha's surprisingly deep, low, half-growl of a voice called after the noises subsided. "All clear!"

Sol placed one hand on the handle, nodding to Gabriel, who cocked his rifle anyway, before pushing inside.