Toad

A startling dream woke me from my slumber. My mother scolded me for failing as a mother, and for allowing my kids to grow up the way they did. She was a much more determined woman when it came to faith, which is what I admired the most about her.  I sat up and clasped my palms together, letting my thoughts wander. I prayed that He would give us forgiveness and security, for my family and I.  After my prayer session I took a glance at a picture by my bedside. 

"I miss you, Ben."

  I stood up to check on my sleeping children, although with each passing day they seemed to stop being children and were becoming young adults. 

As I walked up to my daughter's room I noticed a bag from a jewellery shop by her desk. Inside was a box which held a beautiful necklace with a small yet bright diamond. It wasn't me who bought this, and her allowance had run out recently. The price tag, I noticed, was far too expensive for my daughter to have bought.

"Did she steal this?" I whispered to myself. I opened her first drawer to verify and noticed that it held many pieces of paper some with writings, others with drawings. "She really should clean out her trash." I opened the second drawer and closed the first one, this one was her underwear drawer. As a child, I always hid my secrets here, the best hiding spot was here, or so I thought as a child.

Beneath all the underwear I found something I would have never believed my daughter would possess, a thong.

" That harlot!" I thought. "Has she been fornicating? She always was such a perfect child... Maybe I'm making things up, yeah. That's probably it."

I walked back to my bed and fell asleep with the necklace and thong safely in my drawer.

Proverbs 20:21

An inheritance gained hastily, in the beginning, will not be blessed in the end.