13. Britney Spears

From that day on the shepherds’ life turned around 180 degrees: they took the first steps to implement their plan.

Ataq and Saule had to go into town to buy several vehicles with money they had collected from the families that lived on the steppe.

Ataq was torn by the same thoughts that had previously tormented Saule. They both believed that a trip to the city would return her memory. They had already noticed her memories came back in brief spurts, but she was determined to see the big city.

Ataq was worried about the fact that Saule would have a boyfriend who she wanted more than a Qazaq jigit, or there would be other serious circumstances that would force her to return to her homeland.

Because of this, he delayed the trip to the city. But the shepherds had entrusted them to carry out the project and now they were waiting for action on their part.

Ataq decided to go to the city without Saule, but she didn’t agree with that and insisted on a joint trip.

She had a strange feeling of anxiety that wouldn’t leave her in peace. Sometimes it seemed that someone was calling her, that someone was waiting for her to return.

She felt she had left a man dear to her at home, but her heart told her that this man was not her beloved. With tears in her eyes she convinced Ataq to take her with him.

If she had known she was married, she would have recognized her tormented maternal instincts.

Steppe girls marry when they reach the age of 18, and their difficult life is reflected on their faces. Saule looked younger than local unmarried girls, so no one thought about her being married. And Ataq thought she wasn’t older than 18.

Saule promised she would not leave Ataq for another lover, and after that he agreed they could go together to the city. Saule added that even if her parents forbade it, she would not be afraid to come back and live in Qazaqstan.

They agreed to the following condition: If her family came, Ataq would take care of all financial costs associated with bringing them here.

They arrived in the city. On the first day that the girl was in the city, her memory returned. How did this happen?

It happened when they visited a shopping center to do some dressing up. The girl was not wearing makeup and her hair hadn’t been done, so no one recognized her yet.

Walking around the shopping area, they decided to go to a hairdresser. He went to sit in the men’s section, and she to the women’s. Ataq was finished in a half-hour, and he waited for Saule in the lobby.

The woman who was working on her did the same makeup and hairstyle that Britney Spears had. When the hairdresser asked if she was Britney, her client jokingly said that her name was Saule.

Not believing the resemblance, the beautician wondered and asked whether she knew English. Saule answered her in English.

During the conversation, the hairdresser learned about the purpose of her visit to the city, and all her doubts disappeared — in front of her sat the legendary Britney Spears!

The hairdresser, who followed entertainment news, recalled that a few months ago all the media carried stories about a search for Britney, who had gone missing somewhere in Qazaqstan. A good reward had been promised for information about her.

The sly hairdresser assigned her to the VIP lounge, and also invited Ataq at Britney’s request, explaining that foreign nationals who knew the Qazaq language so well were going to be given a prize – the keys to a car – which the mayor would present to her.

The hairdresser said that it was also possible that journalists would be present.
Ataq and Britney sat in a closed room, naively waiting for the mayor to arrive and preparing themselves to be interviewed by journalists.

Meanwhile, the hairdresser telephoned all the local news media (to make sure she would receive the reward money) and presented the sensational story about Britney Spears visiting the hair salon, and that she had lost her memory.

The hairdresser tested everyone’s patience by keeping them waiting until the maximum number of journalists had arrived. An hour later, when she had 30 in front of her, the press conference began.

The moment of truth had arrived!

The double doors swung open and a group of journalists with cameras burst into the room like wild animals, startling Britney with bright camera flashes.

Four days later...

Britney — is in a hospital bed. She doesn’t start to improve until the second day.

She remembered everything to the last detail after the trauma she experienced.

Relatives who have flown in from America come one by one to her room. Each of them visits her several times.

Only Ataq has not been in to see her in the past two days. He sits in silence in the lobby of the hospital. Completely alone…