(0) the bee incident

JULY 2007

JULY 2007

The view of freshly cut grass spread in her uncle's garden was pleasing, no bit was too little or too small - everything just equal.

Beatrice had never visited her uncle's house before, he lived in Nebraska and had usually came to Derry to visit the family. He was a kind man, with a plump stomach and a taste for plum pie. His craving left him with an almost permanent purple stain on the inner portion of his lips, making him look like the most vibrant corpse to ever exist. Tim Munro was her mother's brother, he was always very protective of his niece seeing as he couldn't have children himself. As a loving nickname, her father would call her 'honeybee' as she buzzed around in his garden pretending to be one.

Compared to their humble condo in Derry, uncle Tim's house was like a garden of Eden. His love for vivid greens and yellows was evident by the constant use of them and the impressive garden and greenhouse. Bea was given the opportunity to run free, with some exceptions.

She was NEVER to go into the woods beside his house alone. Never ever, uncle Tim had said.

Her father, Clark, warned of the creatures that lurked within. The ones that thirsted for you in the shadows.

This was all just a big show to prevent her from leaving the house. There was a bee farm nearby and millions of bees had been found in the garden. Her father was deathly allergic to them, despite ironically even naming his child after the creature. Clark Tremaine was a rational person, he knew his daughter was going to explore the world one day and that was a-okay. She couldn't be his little girl forever, so she could be his little girl for now and they'd experience each day hand in hand together. Her mother, Margot was the opposite. She was over protective and strict, intending for Bea to get into one of the best schools in the country and not caring if her feelings were hurt. Margot didn't care if she had to treat her daughter like a machine, Bea was getting pushed to the top whether she was afraid of heights or not.

Beatrice was unique, she saw the world as a bright open plane ready to be ran on. The world was bright and full of colour, and she was just a dot on the canvas. She understood her potential and wasn't aware of the negativity and deception that resided out there in the universe.
She'd soon come to realise that this place was a disease that needed to be exterminated. Her happiness and light would be ripped away from her, leaving her with an empty cavern inside.

Bea was a lonely girl. And lonely girls had the best imaginations.

From the backseat of her car, she could be an astronaut going to Neptune or here in this field she could be a simple little bumblebee, buzzing around without a care in the world.