Chapter 1

(Lol, so much controversy about Starflight's eye color)

(Frostleaf's point of view)

I didn't think I was a good dragon for a big heroic destiny.

I wanted to be, I wanted to be the greatest savior of the world, brave and loyal. I wanted to do all of the amazing and kind things expected of me. I wanted to see the world, and all the suffering dragons, figure out what was wrong or what was broken, and fix everything.

But I was no hero. I had no good qualities at all. I couldn't hunt, I couldn't breathe fire, or do anything helpful, and I couldn't even tell what tribe I was from. All I wanted was to protect my friends from danger.

I was okay at fighting, but okay wouldn't stop the war and save the tribes. I needed to be perfect. I was supposed to be strong, and powerful, and terrifying.

I felt about as terrifying as a mouse. I watched Clay fight Kestrel, and he was getting his tail kicked.

"Fight!" Kestrel howled, flinging him across the cavern. Clay crashed into the rock wall ans scrambled up again, trying to spread his mud-colored wings for balance. Red talons raked at his face and he ducked away. "Come on!" The red dragon snarled. "Stop holding back. Find the killer inside you and let it out."

"I'm trying!" Clay said. "Maybe if we could stop and talk about it-"

She lunged for him again. "Feint to the left! Roll right! Use your fire!" Clay tried ducking under her wing to attack from below, but he rolled the wrong way (HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO DO THAT?!)  One of her talons stamped him to the ground, and he yelped with pain. 

"WHICH LEFT WAS THAT, USELESS?" Kestrel bellowed. "Are all MudWings this stupid? OR ARE YOU JUST DEAF?"

'He will be if you keep yelling like that, Kestrel.' I thought, almost ready to spring into the fight and bite the red dragon's leg off, so she'd look like Dune. I shifted my scales slightly. My camouflage didn't work like I wished it did. Some of the light blues and greens and whites still slightly showed through, like I was a dragon ghost. Almost spooky, but not useful. 

"I don't know about other MudWings." Clay protested, wiggling free from Kestrel. He licked his sore talons. "Obviously. But perhaps we could try fighting without all the shouting and see-"

Suddenly, I heard a hiss that meant Kestrel was about to blow fire. Clay rolled out of the way, and I felt a talon poke my tail. I whipped around, terrified it would be Dune or Webs, but it was just Tsunami.

"Why are you watching them?" Tsunami asked, curious. "I need more practice, whatever I can get. Besides, I might need to step in if Kestrel gets too violent." I whispered, and Tsunami stared at me skeptically. "You? Step in? Please, Frostleaf, you wouldn't hurt a fly. Even a fire-breathing, Kestrel shaped fly." Tsunami joked. That hurt more than she knew. I tried to be helpful! It was just the way I am. At least Sunny understands me.

I watched the fight again... oh, no, not fighting... training.

"Can't I fight one of the others? I'm much better at that." Clay stated. He was right. Since we were more his size, he whooped our tails. 

"Oh, yes? Which opponent would you prefer? The stunted SandWing, lazy RainWing, or the useless hybrid?" Kestrel asked, and Tsunami put a webbed talon on my shoulder. "Because I'm sure you'll get to pick on the battlefield." Her tail glowed like fire as she lashed it back and forth.

"Glory's not lazy at all! She's just not built for fighting, that's all. Webs says there's not much to fight about in the rainforest because the RainWings have all the food they want. And Frostleaf isn't useless, she just hasn't found out how to fight yet because she doesn't even know what tribe she's from, and she's special."