Story 4: Gathering Memories

A note: This is a bigger part of a larger world but is more me exploring a character. It's not often that you see someone doing something mundane in a zombie story. :P I hope you all enjoy though.

Walking through what used to be a trailer park 'town' with a very large two donkey drawn cart, Jordan eyed the sky and wondered if he would be able to finish off the place before having to head back to their headquarters. He had been going through the place for the last three days, all of the stripped trailers now emblazoned with neon green X's, but it was starting to get cold nearer sunset and there wasn't a lot of time to get to where he had to go.

That and the closer to sunset the more likely one was to run into an unliving, and he was only able to bring a broad sword and a baseball bat covered in barbed wire to keep his own load light.

Speaking of the unliving, he noticed that they had taken cover for the day as they often did even when there were more humans running around. The humans though that it was dangerous to move around at night, even in the coldest months. Maybe more so since then a person would have to contend with the unliving and the cold.

Pulling out his canteen, he sipped his water before leading the way to the water trough that he and others had set up when they had first arrived at the safehouse. Leaving his donkey's to drink the rainwater to their heart's content, he went into the next trailer, bat in hand and ready to swing. He had a gun, but as most of his fellow survivors had figured out, it would just cause noise and draw attention to what they were doing so it was better to just use the bat and sword.

At the moment, he was after clothing, seeds, containers, and anything that he knew would come in handy. His other friends had driven a truck, their own carts, and a horse trailer to the city itself to continue raiding there. If he finished this part though he was going to go work on the suburbs of the city that was near by.

Licking his lips, he checked through the entire trailer, before he started to work his way, back to front, raiding it, taking his time in going through everything. He found dishes, something that they always needed, giant containers of dish soap, cleaning supplies, laundry soaps, and dry goods. All of it went into the totes that they used to carry things in an organized manner, wrapping up the breakables in clothes and cloth that was salvageable. it took him half an hour, to pack everything up including toys that he could give to the smaller kids at the compound.

"Only three years and already the kids are makin' due without," he snorted at a Raggedy Ann doll that he had a feeling his sister would like. Jordan tucked the doll into a side strap of his personal bag and lead the way to the next trailer, leaving the cart there for the moment.

Jordan could still remember what had happened when everything had gone to hell. It had been surprisingly easy for the virus to spread through the United States, and it was closed off hard the moment that the company discovered that it was out. From what they found out through their contacts, there had been a couple of cases in Canada, Alaska, and Mexico, but they had been contained fast.

For them, it had started in a single city, one that was kind of on the small city but had been just big enough to spread things outwards. The only person who could tell them anything though was who they were calling a Living Zombie.

Which still shocked the hell out of him even though he had met the guy twice in his lifetime.

They had talked about classical literature, something he found fun and interesting, while he had eaten a pig's brain. It had been interesting. The guy often updated those with radios about what his body was doing after three years. He was remarkably whole compared to his fellow unlivings.

All of the scientists who were watching over him and studying the way his body worked figured that he wasn't truly dead flesh brought back to life. Rather he was in an in-between state of living and death.