Prologue

The sounds of gunshots rang throughout my room. This happens almost every night.

It is Friday night and I sat on my couch playing my favorite online game with my bestfriend, Jane.

Despite the fact that we're only connected in this game, I could feel her presence because of my devices and gadgets. A holographic imager which shows a live feed of the other person at a certain location within fifty mile radius.

My brother, Jasper, is out tonight, probably doing some overtime on his work. He's just a year older than me and we're on the same year in highschool.

"Nice shot." I said as Jane took down a small group of enemy scouts swiftly. We spoke through our comm. A piece of device essential for every gamer. It is where we communicate.

Although Jane's a girl, she's doing exceptionally good in every game she plays. She also has a huge collection of games for every console almost making her room look like a videogame library.

I could remember than one time we joined a tournament. She pulled out a record of a hundred kills in a game where the players keeps shuffling and has thick armor, making it almost impossible to get a single kill.

"Thanks." She said. That would alert them though." Her voice was very calm. I've never heard her panic. Even when we're losing a battle, because she always manage to pull out a miracle and we eventually won.

"They'll be pissed. Let's head out before they sweep the area." I said. We moved to higher grounds. She steadied her rifle as I guard her rear.

Enemy patrols moved in the area as soon as we settled atop of a hill. We saw some armored vehicles. We also saw an enemy air patrol.

"We better take them out." I said, trying to hide the worries from my voice.aa

"You sounded worried." She chuckled. "Stay calm hotshot."

Even if I couldn't see her face I can hear the smile in her voice. She always call me "hotshot". Maybe because of my aggressive attitude towards enemy players, which is most likely the reason why we-almost-lost sometimes.

"We won't attack yet. Let them pass. Our mission is to find a vulnerable spot in their base."

We watched as they guard the entrance to their camp. Several armored truck loaded their troops, probably planning to attack our base. We hid in the bushes wearing ghillie outfits. A bunch of leaves, vines and grasses covering every inch of our skin. It makes us almost impossible to get spotted.

"There. See that convoy?" I looked towards the direction she pointed. I saw several tanks returning to their base and a couple of armored trucks.

"Yup. What's the plan?" I asked.

"We hide underneath. Plant three C4s then we return here." She said. "We wait until they're at their gates, then we blow 'em up."

I took a deep breath then we ran to the unsuspecting convoy. Some soldiers stood behind the fifty cal turrets mounted on top of their vehicle so we sticked with a patch of bush that lead to the road.

The convoy drew near as we lay on the ground, waiting for the vehicle to come over us. We positioned ourselves carefully to avoid the wheels, Then we cling on the undercarriage.

I did as I'm told. I sticked three c4 explosives under the vehicle. I put them near the fuel line then I let go of my grip. They left us behind, rolling on the dusty, unpaved road several times before we steadied ourselves. They continued towards their base while we moved to cover again.

"Ready up." She said while holding the detonator in her hands.

I crouched, holding my detonator while waiting for the right moment.