Chapter I - Sleepover

I woke up on the couch, feeling disoriented rather than refreshed. I fulfilled my need for sleep but I still feel exhausted.

I heard someone babbling about something I couldn't make out. I tilted my head and saw Jasper was watching some news on the television, power's back. I checked the wall clock. 9:54 am.

I walked unwillingly towards the kitchen. I followed the smell of cheesy lasagna that led me to the microwave.

"You had breakfast yet?" I asked Jasper.

"Uh huh."

I transfered the lasagna on a dish and went back to the living room. Jasper was still focused on the news.

"...Downtown's still blocked by vehicles and cars of people stranded by last night's unexplained incident. The question remains as to what exactly caused the nationwide blackouts and the malfunction of auto mobiles and other electrical devices all over the continental U.S. Power has returned for the majority of the states at 6:00 in the morning, Eastern daylight time. However several states are still experiencing blackouts. Those are : Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee. Residents from those states are advised to stay calm and stay patient as our government are taking preemptive measures while rebuilding the seriously damaged electrical plants. Expect up to four to five more hours of blackout before the power grid is back online..."

I stopped paying attention and started taking my breakfast.

"How'd your car managed to pull off from that mess?" I asked Jasper as videos of downtown appeared on the T.V.

"It didn't." He snapped. "I had to leave it back there."

"Oh." He just bought his car last month, from his own savings. It's pretty pricey which is why I wonder what kind of work he does.

"I thought it's very high tech?"

"It is." he countered. "Which is exactly the reason why it stopped. Everything high tech or runs by electricity were affected by this "Incident.""

Weird. Even cars were affected. Does this have something to do with the tremors?

"Yeah. That figures, my phone also stopped." I said as I picked my phone from my pocket.

The screen lit. I'm glad that it's working now. There's also a new text message.

"John

I'll drop by at your house at 10:15. I told my brother I'm going for a sleep over. I'm on my way now. See ya hotshot >:).

                                                  -Jane"

Crap. I finished my breakfast quickly, taking mouthfuls. I washed my plate after. Water's back too but I'm in a hurry so I left the other unwashed plates from last night in the sink.

"You busy today?" Jasper asked as he grabbed a soda from the fridge.

"Uhm, not really. I just invited Jane for a sleep over." I replied

"Oh." He grinned. "Say hi for me, I'll head back to downtown for my car. I'm not sure if I could come home later, there's just something I need to do. Watch over the house huh." He said then turned towards the door.

"And keep an eye for news." He said with a worried edge in his voice. "Contact me in case of emergency."

I nodded then he left. I ran to the shower excitedly. I checked my phone.

Ten minutes to go.

Jane always arrives on time so I better finish up quickly.

I scrubbed my body swiftly while trying to figure out how many minutes I got left. I washed my hair, dried myself and headed to my room.