Of Toil and Trouble

By all accounts Lucifer was a terrifying creature. If not for his malicious attitude, then for his handsome features and the fact that he knew how to manipulate a situation. It was a trait that Greed both admired and abhorred if only for the fact that he felt very much like a puppet on a string. As Lucifer glared down toward Greed it became a little easier to see that in many ways he was his father’s son.

Lucifer was far more broad than Greed and a little more olive in skin tone, but both had the same dark hair and blue eyes. Greed had a little more grey compared to his father’s electric eyes and he prefered to keep his hair short. He couldn’t help sneer at the waves in his father’s hair. “I have warned you about trying to find your way to the human realm and the realm the Bagrielis escaped to, have I not?”

Lucifer’s booming words broke through Greed’s thoughts like a sharp ice pick to his temple. “I thought you would have been proud of the initiative,” he growled back before remembering to bite his words. “After all, the Bagrielis deserve to spend eternity in the wasteland they helped create.”

“The time for initiative was when you had the chance to kill Charity and you refused to take it,” Lucifer threw back.

The mention of her name alone was enough to bring the memory of her face swimming back to his mind. In many regards Charity was otherworldly in her beauty with the caramel waves of her hair and those big brown eyes that always seemed to find amusement in anything. Even Greed. Perhaps what he enjoyed the most was the smile that was so bright and pure that he forgot what he was thinking about anytime he caught glimpse of her. “Then will I never be able to win your favor back,” he finally questioned his father, unable to say anything in regards to the fact that he hadn’t been able to kill her. In all honesty he never really got close, because anytime he did her sweet smile would pull him back down.

“You will not. You were a rather great disappointment,” Lucifer responded before waving his large hand. “I have said all I wish to say to you.”

Being dismissed brought him the sharp pain of sadness that faded to simply a sharp pain. Outside the doors of the throne room sat his sister Gluttony, a rather goofy woman, but today her smile had melted into a frown. Greed chose to believe it was a product of the heat. Lucifer was always seemed to be much more lenient with his daughters. Maybe it was because they were the embodiment of beauty and desire or because they appeared much less jagged than his sons.

However, every one of them knew that Wrath was the one to watch out for. It was well known that she was his favorite of the seven. She had a tongue as sharp as her mind and took after their father more than any of the others. As if sculpted from obsidian every inch of Wrath was sharp and dangerous. Thus Lucifer still loved her the best. She had been the closest to killing her rival from what became known as the seven heavenly virtues. Patience had been a slim infuriating man who never rose to anger. His unwillingness to fight caused Wrath to toss him aside like a rag doll. She was a great many dangerous things, but operated on her own moral compass. A compass that apparently didn’t include killing anyone that wouldn’t defend themselves.

Gluttony rose to her feet and gave Greed a pat on the arm, “Don’t listen to him Greedo. He’s just upset you’ve come the closest to finding those bastards.” She managed to throw her brother a cheeky smile nearly bouncing on the balls of her feet. “So when are we going to break out.”

“What makes you think I’d take you with me? Especially when you’ve been calling me Greedo for the last thousand years,” he raised an eyebrow, but didn’t look over. The last thing he wanted to do was look over at those puppy dog eyes Gluttony was sure to be giving him.

When she realized he wasn’t paying attention she threw her arms out dramatically and gasped, “I want to try all the things!”

Greed threw a glare her direction only to find her large cognac eyes trained on him. A heavy sigh escaped his lips and he looked back down at the youngest sin. “You know I’d take you with me.”

Walking along the path of gold was nothing short of awe inspiring for humans and Bagrielis. Despite being in what Yahweh named Heaven for thousands of years the Bagrelis could still remember the disarray that Usmya had been left in. Gratitude was, in her nature, thankful for the ability to live in a place so pure. All of their surroundings seemed to be made of light and shining glittery things. No doubt a touch from Yahweh, as her father had a flair for elegance.

While glorious to behold it was also uncomfortable to be a part of. The woman was afraid to touch anything because everything was so pristine and perfect. It was a sentiment she shared with her fellow sister Diligence. In many ways Diligence was the leader of the seven. She was strong, opinionated and always found a way to get where she wanted to go. It didn’t seem to be enough for Yahweh, who favored Charity above all others. Charity was the golden child. Beautiful beyond compare and a heart bigger than any other, she often didn’t realize that she made the others jealous.

Gratitude found herself sitting in the grass outside her father’s castle. It was most common to find her basking in the rays of the sun. She had only been stretched out for about 10 mins when a shadow passed over. With dark hair and darker eyes, Diligence stood with a scowl on her face. “Get up, we have an issue,” she growled. Diligence was in a foul mood which usually meant Yahweh had said something to piss her off.

“What happened,” Gratitude questioned as she pushed her wild black waves out of her face.

“The sins are trying to break out of Hell,” she hissed and looked around to make sure no one else had heard her. In many ways Gratitude was thankful for the existence of the sins, as it led to her and her siblings being brought into the world. However, she could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. Envy and Greed both knew how to make the woman sick to her stomach. Both were rather attractive and confident and their cocky smirks alone could lead people into their graves.

Nothing else needed to be said for Gratitude to jump up and hurry off to the throne room where a council would convene to determine the best course of action. Until then, tensions would be high.