Chapter 2 (Part 2)

***

We still had plenty of money to lounge around in town for a really long time, and maybe practice some of my skills.

However, there was a problem.

It happened a few days after the excursion with the kobold settlement. During the evening after I finished practicing, I came back to the room to rest up, unfortunately, there was a girl was standing in front of the door to my room.

She looked familiar, maybe. Like I'd seen her somewhere once, and only a portion of what I saw I remembered.

Over her clothes were a leather chest piece, bracers, and shin guards. The chest piece seemed a tad small for her. A sword hung at her hip that she had one hand rested on.

She hadn't noticed me at first as I was walking down the hall, possibly lost in her own thoughts.

"Can I help you?" I asked casually.

The girl looked surprised at first, then narrowed her eyes at me before relaxing her pose.

"You're Xavier, correct?" she asked in a soft, formal tone.

"I am. Do you have some business with me?"

The girl bit the edge of her lip ever so slightly and looked away from me, the hand on her sword fidgeting with the pommel.

"I ... wanted to thank you, for helping me," she mumbled.

I cocked my head slightly. I didn't recall helping someone who looked like her, but at the same time, she looked oddly familiar.

"You're welcome, I guess? I'm pretty bad at remembering someone's face, so I'm not entirely sure what you're thanking me for," I said, lightly scratching the back of my head.

The girl's posture changed a bit. She bit a bigger piece of her lip and was looking at the floor, intently avoiding eye contact. I could tell she was uneasy at my response, but she still wanted to tell me something.

"Do you know the Kegger family?" she asked in a low mumble I barely understood.

Oh, it's one of the girls I rescued from the goblins! I was already paid by her family for her rescue, so why is she here? I wondered.

She must've caught the glint of realization in my eyes, as she looked up and finally made eye contact with me.

"I wanted to personally thank you for saving my life! I was ignorant in believing I could take on the goblins myself. They're small, dumb creatures, so I assumed they'd be easy to kill. I didn't realize they had so many."

I pursed my lips together and raised a single eyebrow.

"How did they get the upper hand on you?" I asked, crossing my arms.

I didn't really care all that much, but someone thanking me was a nice feeling, especially if it came from an attractive girl such as her.

"I was fighting with a couple when two others flanked me and hit me across the head. When I came to, I was mostly naked and being aided by you and another woman."

"I see. I'm sorry you had to endure what you did. Thank you for your gratification, but if that's all, I need to get some rest," I said, walking past her to the door.

"Wait!" she exclaimed loudly.

My hand was already on the handle and turning it when I paused. I looked back to her. She held a pleading look in her eyes.

"Please, tell me how you defeated them with just the two of you."

As I opened my mouth, I paused. I couldn't tell her it was magic. She probably wouldn't believe me, and even if she did, that might cause even more trouble. I opted for deception.