Hero on the Titanic

I smoothed my dress as I sat down at a table for dinner. Berniece, the woman who occupied the cabin next to mine, sat across from me.

"It's a wonderful day," she said, "April 14, 1912, the Titanic should arrive in New York in two days."

"Yes," I said, "That's when we're supposed to arrive, however, you know how unpredictable these big ships can be."

"Are you saying you think the Titanic might sink?!" Bernice exclaimed.

My laugh rang out like bells in a church, "Of course not!" We might have to save a lesser ship that is not capable of sailing two yards." This, of course, was a very mean thing to say, but that was what I was like, that was what most 1st class people in 1912 were like, and I, Evelyn Springwater, was in the 1st class. Anything less than the best was not worth having, this is because I always had the best. The latest dresses, the best jewelry, and now I was on the best, most unsinkable ship ever made. There was only one thing I had that wasn't the best, and that was my younger brother, he was only 18 when he went to work at the best bank in town, such a great honor at such a young age, but alas, he had stolen tens of thousands of pounds, two years later. He was banished from the family, and as a result, his passage on the great ship was merely third class. And me, first class, at age 26, on the Titanic to find a better life in New York. I hope to find a place, where when people pass me in the streets, they wouldn't think "Is that the sister of the fellow who stole all that money?" They would think, "Oh, it's that new rich woman, I should get to know her." But no, of course not, Joseph had to come along to New York on the Titanic, probably so he could steal more money, in fact, he was in his cabin right now.

"Did I hear you two fine young ladies saying the Titanic might sink?" The voice brought me whirring back from my daydreams. It was Captain John Smith himself. "Now, being the captain and all, I would know, let me tell you about the rivets, they are top of the line" Smith went on the tell me and Bernice about the rivets, and other factors of why the Titanic was unsinkable, which of course I knew was true.

After dinner, I went to the lounge to write to my family, it was a peaceful time of the day, and I was not to be bothered, but of course, I was. A whining baby made me look up from my work. With his back to me, a man with scruffy brown hair, and baggy clothes was cradling a bald-headed nuisance in his arms.

"Joseph!" I exclaimed, the man turned around in surprise. To my dismay, he still looked exactly like me, there was no doubt that he was my brother. "What are you doing here?" I asked angrily, "You third classes shouldn't be in here, and especially not with your constantly crying babies, and dirty shoes.

"I have every right to be in here as you do, sister, and this lovely little boy is your nephew."

"I have never wanted children, and I am disgusted to learn that I am so closely related to one, and especially one who is the son of a thief and a scum." By now we were almost shouting at each other, and people were starting to stare at us.

"Why you're just a first class snob, who cares about nothing but herself, and all the pretty little things you own. In fact, if the Titanic sank, and my family and I went down with it, you wouldn't care in the least, you would just be glad you were alive!"

"Well unfortunately for me, the Titanic isn't going to sink, and you will still be in my life!" This seemed to hit Joseph hard like a blow to the head, his face lost its anger and became sad. All the people in the lounge stared, mouths agape. "Just go to your cabin, and stay there until we get to New York in two days, I never want to see the likes of you again." I spat at him. Joseph walked slowly and sadly out of the lounge, he seemed to have lost all will to live.

The next day came around bright and beautiful, I got out of bed, dressed, and ate breakfast with Bernice, then we made plans to go swimming in an hour. I should have been happy, but I couldn't force that onto myself. Something hung over me, like a sword held only by a fraying rope that was getting thinner and thinner as the clock ticked onward. I didn't know what it was, only that it was driving me insane, and that my fight with Joseph kept sliding back into my head, playing all of the things I said, and all of the things he said over and over.