Chapter One

I watched Mary walk down the hallways like she owned them. Stupid, perfect, Mary Ashley. The girl who could make even the school's hottest guy, James, fall down at her feet. I sighed as everyone parted like the red sea, staring at her with wide, gleaming eyes. I leaned against my locker moodily.

I was bitter but maybe that was because I was jealous. Hell, of course I was jealous. Who wouldn't be? Mary was flawless. She had long, golden locks that flowed down her back, crystal blue eyes that sparkled when she laughed, and beautiful tan skin that shone in the sun. She was the most popular girl in the school and she knew it.

It made me laugh. Her name was a total contradiction to her personality. She was anything but the Virgin Mary. I had heard rumours that she'd slept with almost all the guys in this wretched school. She was a slut, plain and simple. But at least she wasn't the school's freak. At least she wasn't the Emo who cut herself because she had no friends.

I rolled my eyes as I realised I was feeling sorry for myself again. After all, it wasn't Mary's fault that I did this to myself. I unconsciously rubbed my fingers against the scars that were hidden under my sweater and sighed. I knew that this was my fault but I couldn't help but resent her.

Mary and I used to be best friends a couple of years back. I knew all of her secrets; she knew all of mine. But of course, I should have known better than to believe that someone as gorgeous, as mysterious, as her, would be the perfect friend. She was lying to me the whole time. She was pretending to be my best friend, my sister. I told her one little thing, and she repeated it to the whole school. She told them everything. The sad fact was that I still missed her. I still wanted her by my side every day.

It disgusted me.

And here I was, sad, lonely and depressed. After my 'secret' got out, I was avoided like the plague. It'd been two years and I'd officially been labelled the school's freak after my locker was vandalised with the words: Emo dyke freak. I still didn't know who had done it but I was pretty sure it was James and his stupid posse.

The sudden silence of the hallway brought me back to the present and I saw a poor boy receiving Mary's famous glare. I stared at him in sympathy, wondering what she was going to do to him. Seeing as Mary was 'Queen Bee,' she could make any person's life miserable if she didn't like them. For example, me.

The boy couldn't have been older than fifteen and he was clearly quivering in his shoes. His brown eyes were staring at Mary in fear and- I almost snorted- desire. That was another thing. No matter how awful Mary acted, everyone still wanted her. Guys were constantly asking her out and girls stalked her. I thought I even saw a 'Mary Ashley Fan Page,' on Facebook. I almost threw my laptop at the wall.

"Get the hell out of my way," I heard Mary hiss lowly to the boy. He didn't waste any time and he ran down the hallway with a squeak, turning out of sight. I was shocked. Mary never let a victim go. Ever. Something must be up, but I shoved the desire to talk to her down my throat. I couldn't talk to Mary, ever again. Not after she made it clear that she hated me, and I quote, "Get out of my face, dyke. You're disgusting and I never want to see you near me again. Scum like you shouldn't deserve to live."

That had stung like hell and I ran home crying, wondering what I had done. That was the first time a razor met my skin.

It was getting harder and harder to turn up to school; to hear the whispers that followed me everywhere and to feel the hated glares on my back. The only thing I was grateful for was that when Mary was around, nobody noticed me. It was like I didn't exist and I loved it.

I thought I was allergic to people, or people were allergic to me. Day by day, I died a little inside. Day by day, my razor dripped red. Day by day, I stood alone, helpless.