Chapter Five

I had almost finished the first chapter of Harry Potter when I got the unmistakeable feeling of being watched. I looked up over the book and saw, to my complete shock, Mary awkwardly standing behind the nearest bookcase to me. She quickly turned around but I wasn't about to let her go that easily.

"Mary?" I called, trying to mask the hope evident in my voice. She seemed to freeze, but she turned back around slowly, reluctantly.

"What?" she asked coldly. I frowned.

"What are you doing here?" I asked curiously. There was no way on this Earth that she was here for books. She had always said that she hated libraries, so why was she here?

"What do you think I'm doing in here? Hunting elephants?" she asked sarcastically, and I almost laughed.

"I know you hate reading. Don't lie."

I'd caught her red handed and she knew it.

"Whatever," she muttered. Really? That was the best she could come up with? She started walking away, much to my despair. She was going to tell me whether she wanted to or not.

"Wait!" I shouted as loud as I could in a library without getting into trouble. "Don't leave!"

I got up quickly, and grabbed her arm. Her skin was strangely hot to the touch and she yanked away from me.

"Taylor, stop trying. I know you hurt yourself because of me," she nudged my exposed skin and I hastily dropped my sleeves, ashamed. "And we both know I'm just going to hurt you again."

I felt horrible at her words, but the sad thing was, I knew she was right. Yet, why did I feel so... betrayed? She turned from me, as if putting an end to our conversation and decidedly walked away from me.

"You were the one who followed me today," I reminded to her retreating back, suddenly feeling annoyed. Did she really think she could do this to me again? She turned around again, and I was shocked at the emotions running across her usually blank face.

"Yeah, and what a mistake that was."

I gasped loudly when I saw tears spring to her eyes. So much pain and guilt was there and I almost started crying myself. I made to say something but she was suddenly running out of the library doors, faster than I could follow.

"Mary," I whispered brokenly. I was so confused. If she regretted what she did, why did she do it? Why did she tell everyone my secrets? Why did she tell everyone I was a lesbian?

She knew it'd destroy me. She knew everyone would hate me and avoid me, which was probably why she did it. She didn't want anyone to be near me because she was a horrid bitch. I flinched at my own thoughts.

They even sounded fake to me.

Ah, who was I kidding? I didn't think she was a bitch. I didn't know what was running through her mind when she did it. I didn't know why she pretended to be my friend, only to throw it back in my face. But I was determined to find out.

I picked up Harry Potter and put it back on the shelf, waving goodbye to the friendly librarians and walked out of the library. It was starting to get dark, much to my surprise. I didn't know how long I'd been. Mum was probably freaking out... oh wait, what was I thinking? I bet she didn't even realise I wasn't home. I sighed and shoved down my hurt and anger. I put in my earphones, not wanting to think.

I walked slowly, contemplating on whether or not I should go home. Should I look for Mary? I hated how our conversation had ended. I stopped walking and realised I was in the only park our town had. It was quite small, with barely any trees, which was surprising seeing as our town was only made of trees.