1-1. Sodor Meets True Blues

1945
The Island of Sodor; You've heard about it, right? Practically everything feels quite calm and cool here...
It wasn't always that way; Why do some of the Sudrian-structures look sort of damaged, for instance? That wouldn't be explained too well, if the island hadn't ever fell victim under the attack of these large living creatures. They were notably referred to as Dinosaur Locomotives ("Dinos Locos" for short). The name may be odd at first, but just take a glance at them; they're quite like "walking sentient-engines".
The feud between them and humanity rather lasted for quite a while, and it didn't help that the attempts to research about them were often long and risky. Despite several professionals having the nerve to do such a task, they still have yet to find out where dino locos actually came from in the first place.

Sir Topham Hatt "The Fat Controller" (simply "Topham", or "STH") was commonly known as "the man in charge", often being respected by people as a "head-figure", while numerous loyal workmen usually serve well to give Sodor quite a bit of an "ideal feel"... or so they might've thought.
STH happens to have quite a big amount of paperwork to be done in his own office, so without further questioning, he sends some of his fellow-men (stationmasters) out daily to cooperate and maintain the major residences on Sodor: Ffarquhar, Brendam, Wellsworth, and Knapford.

If there was one thing Topham had a responsibility with (other than his usual paperwork), it would have to be looking after a strange, green metallic egg. From what the stout-man had heard from researchers, the egg had originated somewhere in Brighton, London and was later brought down to Sodor. Due to the egg's size, texture and color, STH realizes that he's awaiting the birth of a dinosaur locomotive.

A week later, Sir Topham Hatt's work-time was suddenly interrupted by the sound of light metallic-cracking; the egg looked like it was finally going to hatch any minute

What emerged out was a small, green creature with a young face. Topham practically didn't know what to think, other than the fact he did admit that the creature looked generally "cute" in a way. Anyway, he desired to give the little guy a name that felt fitting in a sense, as well as recognizable; "Thomas" was the choice for that. Hatt finds a small tag that was hanging from the egg labeled "RARE BRIGHTON E2", revealing what type of dino Thomas is. The very first thing the little creature does is try to bite Hatt on the arm. Amusingly, it of course didn't do much. Topham simply had to make sure that Thomas was cared for and in decent condition; the process was kept on for a few years, and watching the little dino learn and grow looked quite endearing to Hatt.

1948
Now approaching an adolescent-stage, Thomas' original green color has faded to a shade of blue, and his height had reached around 20-30 feet tall. While he seems to have matured, he was also somewhat a warning to the humans; not deliberate, but due to his size & strength, Thomas now has the risk of damaging structures and property, whether intentional or not.

During another day, something was momentarily spotted moving throughout the ocean from a distance, and it's clearly coming closer to the island at a surprisingly fast speed; so far by this point, the humans could only tell its presence by its spines and funnel (?) poking from above the water's surface (somewhat giving the illusion of an unsual-looking shark releasing steam), until it finally arrived near Brendam Docks.