Regret: Part 15

Jesse P.O.V.

I start to wonder why I came back here. Why I offered to take them. It only brings back memories, good as well as bad. I guess it was just something to take up time, something to bring up in the awkwardness. Something to distract.

I stare at the row of treasures in front of me, shining objects. They would be useless, if it weren't for the memories they brought back.

I catch the Blaze Rods looking at the Order of the Stone's amulet.

"Curious?" I ask, a smile reaching my lips.

They turn to me, making a space for me to stand with them.

"Yeah, actually. I never really wondered: how exactly did you save the world? And I don't just mean the end, I mean the whole story." Aiden says, eyes sparkling with interest.

"I have questions too." Maya exclaims, and Gil nods.

I look at the amulet, shining different colors and spinning slowly on the pedestal.

"If it's a story you want," I start, and then pick up the amulet in my hand to show it to them. "You're in for a real treat."

Lukas P.O.V.

"Definitely," Ivor says, examining the glass shards from the scene I discovered earlier. "Poison." 

He said 'poison' in such a way that I didn't know if it was good or bad.

"Thanks Ivor. I just needed reassurance." I say, as he nods.

"Anything to help catch the lunatic who shot you, Luk-Louie."

I give him a strange look.

"Did you purposely call me by a my not-real name?" I ask, as his cheeks turn a faint pink. He shakes his head.

"Of course not. It's not like I actually care about you, or Jesse..."

Ivor shakes his head again and looks at the shards.

"Anyway, you say you saw a trail? Poison droplets?" His words snap me back to attention.

"Yeah, actually. The killer probably left in such a hurry and didn't notice the trail he or she was leaving behind." I say, thinking. "It ended at the further end of town."

"Hmm. If it ended there than that probably means that it's where the killer came from. Look for a brewing stand, and ingredients to make the potion of poison: an awkward potion made from nether warts and water, and a spider eye. Find all those pieces of evidence and they will ultimately lead to your killer." Ivor finishes, a satisfying look on his face. I grin.

"Perfect. Thanks a bunch Ivor, I'll start investigating that part of town soon. We've made some progress."

I start to pack up my items in my inventory.

"Question, though. Why would anyone want to kill you? Do you have any enemies? Turned friends?"

I freeze, realization slapping me in the face. I look at Ivor, who has realized the same thing.

"I think I know who the killer is." I say, my mind working furiously. "And we just let them into our town."

********************

Ivor walks with me to the exit, silence in the midst. I open the door and step outside, a breeze ruffling my hair and brushing against my cheek.

"Hey...Lukas." Ivor says, and I turn to look at him. "I just wanted to let you know, I'm glad that you left Jesse out of this."

My eyes widen and I hesitate before answering.

"Really?" I ask, surprised. He gives me a look before nodding.

"I don't know...she's-she's like a daughter to me. I don't want anything bad to happen to her. So, thank you." Ivor says, like he's embarrassed to admit it. I smile sadly.

"You're welcome Ivor." I reply, and begin to walk away, not telling him I nearly broke my heart doing it.

Jesse P.O.V.

"...it felt like a nightmare. All dark and scary, people frozen with looks of terror on their faces. Purple beams lit up the inside and gave off a wave of fear. I looked for the command block, searching with Reuben by my side. Suddenly, the Witherstorm lurched, causing us to tumble and fall in the other direction..."

Maya, Gil, and Aiden watched intently, consumed in the story as I spoke the words. I made gestures as I spoke, going from calm to intense at certain moments. I told the story of the Witherstorm, about the old Order and all the challenges they went through like it was yesterday.

Time whizzed by fast.

"BAM! I struck the command block with my enchanted diamond sword for the last time, sparks flying everywhere. There was a bright flash, and an explosion that sent me down back to the ground. And then it was finally defeated. I splashed down into the water-"

I remembered. I didn't want to go on, nor tell this part of the story. Memories latched on and opened up as I tried to control my fear.

I look at the window to see darkness.

"It's getting late. I think-I think I should stop now." I say, distracted. I got so caught up in the story I didn't realize until I got to the part.

"Awwww" all three off them whined, like little children getting a scold from their mother.

"But you were almost finished!"

"The story was getting good!"

"Come on Jesse, you can't leave us hanging."

I look at the three of them, their eyes wide with interest and eagerness. I smile and chuckle, shaking my head.

"Alright, just-just know that it wasn't easy, and it never is, to speak of a friend who died because of me."

Eyy I posted a new story! It's about Lukas' journal entries. It'd mean a lot to me if you'd go check it out :D

Hope you're liking the story so far, and again sorry for the slow updates