Chapter 5: Melted Ice

Mandy P.O.V.

The two of us were quiet again as I cared for his bruises. Loki was tense at first but he loosened up not long after. He was right to say that he was not bleeding. I did not feel any breakages on his skin. I honestly was not sure if I was getting the right areas, but Loki did not complain so I simply continued.

I did not like the silence though. Being blind, I had to rely on sound a lot. Loki did not seem like he was much of a talker but I hoped it was only because of his situation. After all, he was with a stranger and with the pain he was experiencing, making conversations would be difficult to do. He probably was not used to things like this. Perhaps he was accustomed to taking care of himself.

While I worked on his back, I could feel that Loki's skin was already cool even before I placed the ice on it. He was slender but I felt muscles underneath. He was quite tall as I recalled when I assisted him in walking earlier. I was curious on his looks. I wonder if he's handsome. I thought with a smile.

I could not stop thinking about the man I was caring for. There was nothing I really knew about him. His name could be fake and he might not even be really injured, but he did not act suspicious in any way. So far, he has not made any move to take advantage of anything, at least none that I have noticed.

Loki P.O.V.

After a while, I began to lose the feeling of awkwardness that I initially felt in Mandy's care. I let her have her way, for the time being at least. From the moment she had come across me, quite literally might I add, she meant me no harm. Not only that, has not stopped helping me since we met. Who in the right mind would be this willing to aid a potentially dangerous stranger, like me? This mortal was strange.

Just as I was getting used to her rhythmic ice massage, she removed the cold cloth from my back. She then pulled out another dry one and gently patted my back dry. "You're finished?" I asked her. "Yes. I'm gonna take these back to the bathroom so I don't trip on them later." She said in reply as she got up and took the bowl and the other things back to where they came from.

I set myself into a sitting position while waiting for her to return. I tried to look at my back to see the extent of the damage. Unfortunately, our heads are not designed to twist 360 degrees. While my eyes scanned for something that could possibly assist me, I caught something that was unusual to find in a blind person's house. There was a tall mirror hanging on the wall.

I wobbled over and used it to view my back. There were large purple bruises all over it. I could now tell why I felt so sore. Mandy should be thankful that she could not see anything. The very sight of it was disturbing. It still impressed me, however, that it was all I sustained from the fall. I was far stronger than I thought.

"Loki? Where did you go?" I heard Mandy's voice and found her back on the seat where she had left me. "I'm just here." I told her as I returned to my place. She then reached for, what appeared to be a blanket, and handed it to me. She explained to me, "Your clothes might be uncomfortable to wear while you're still injured, but you can use this to cover up for the mean time." I did as she said and but it over me like a cloak. She motioned me to take the glass of water that she had placed on the table and waited patiently for me to do it. After I finished, I noticed that she was fidgeting a lot, like she wanted to say something. "What is bothering you?" I asked her with honest concern.

She bit her lip before she spoke. "I was wondering if you had someone you can contact to take you home." I looked at her and asked, "What do you mean?" She was a little uneasy when she explained. "Well, I don't know just how bad you're injured. I just gave you first aid. We can get you better help." "I'm fine." I said firmly. I knew too well where the conversation was going. This girl was sending me away! I thought.

Mandy continued, "You may think so, but we can't be so sure. Where are you staying? I can take you there and-" "No." I interrupted. I wanted her to stop speaking. The more she talked, the angrier I became. She was not helping, she was making things worse. Much to my dislike, she kept going. "Please, Loki. People might be looking for you. Your family will be worr-" "I HAVE NO HOME! I HAVE NO FAMILY! THEY ALL THINK I'M DEAD!" I yelled shamelessly at her. I had enough of what she was saying.

I saw Mandy back away. Her face showed surprise and fear. I knew what I did was very rude. People do that to me often. At least, I shut her up. I, however, was shaking in anger. I remembered what my family had done to me. They took everything from me and I will never forgive them for it.

While I was lost in my vengeful thoughts, I heard Mandy's voice once again. "Will the couch be alright with you?" I looked at her with absolute confusion. A small "What?" escaped from my lips. She simply answered, "Will you be alright, sleeping on the couch?" I still could not understand. Why would she bring up such an unrelated topic?

She moved closer to me and said in a gentle, honest voice, "You said you don't have a place to go. This house is small and messy, but if it's alright with you, you can stay here." She was calm and sure with her words. I was the one who was uncertain, not only about what my answer would be, but why she would say such a thing. I had just disrespected her and acted ungrateful to her acts of kindness, yet she offered to share her home with me.

"No, you've done too much for me." I told her. She smiled at me saying, "I'm doing my moral duty. I can't just leave someone like you on the streets." There was no logic in that. She did not even know who I was. I would call her a fool for that, but maybe, it was not bad a thing after all. "So, will you stay?" she asked.

"Yes."