The baby

I'm sitting in a side veranda under the shade, P'Lam ran off to help when a fight started. Fon is sitting here with the baby, there both crying, Gran's trying to calm the girl but she doesn't stop. I'm still worried about Gran, but she kept saying she's fine.

"Stop trying to always be a hero Forth."

We don't see them but we can hear the yelling.

"I'm not that bad Gran; I know who the father is." The girl's whispering.

"But you can't say." Gran says patting her shoulder.

"It will be worse if I do Gran. I'm sorry Gran, I'm so sorry." She's crying clutching the lady. The baby hasn't stopped crying all this time, Fon she's my age, god how's she going to handle this. She's feed the baby but he still won't stop.

I offer to take him, and walk around with him, after a little while he calms down but is still fussy.

"It's not just the noise dear." Gran says to me, "Babies can feel it when their mothers are upset."

Gran sent one of her younger grandsons to get their grandfather, he's not back. Shit what's going to happen when he is.

"Just toss it near the road or leave it at an orphanage, that child's not coming into our home."

"Shouldn't you leave this to your parents to decided." P'Forth's saying back.

"They already agree with me."

All of a sudden he runs to where were sitting and grabs Fon by the shoulder shaking her.

"Tell me the bastards name right now. I'm going to bury all three of you together." He's yells

P'Forth gets him off fast and back out; Fon's shaking and clinging to her Gran. The baby's crying again.

"That thing isn't getting our name forth. I'll never let it have our..."

"Enough."

Shit, that scared me, even the baby has gone quite. Gran gets up and goes outside. One word, it echoed with so much strength, I'm betting that's Grandfather. If he's anything like Ming's there is going to major trouble.

The guys repeating the full story again, much quitter this time. I look at Fon, she's shaking. I don't know what to say to her.

The guy I think he's Fon's brothers yelling again about that thing... it's scary that guy really could hurt the baby.

"What the hell's happening?" Someone's asking coming from a side door. She's just arrived; she puts her suitcase down and moves to hug Fon. Who starts crying again and tells her, I'm still walking and rocking the baby.

"Fon...why didn't you tell anyone? Were your family love, you always come to mum remember, always."

She really doesn't look like Fon's mum, but I could be wrong? It's loud again outside.

"You're always the hero aren't you Forth. That thing can't get very far in the world without a father's name."

"He's your nephew p..."

"It's nothing to me, ever. It's never getting our name.." his voice is menacing, that guy is scary.

"He can have mine. If anyone asks, he can say I'm his father." P'Forth, voice is hard as steal.

Shit p, I always thought he was cool, but he's much more, he's a great person.

"Always the good guy Forth, It should be thrown away..."