Chapter 6 - Perspective

Redcliffe saw Chancer as soon as he walked back into the bar; she was finishing a conversation with the bartender. She saw him, giving a nod and walking in his direction.

"Borrasso's story checks out," she told him, "He was here all last night working the bar."

"Is there footage?"

"He's going out back to get the security footage now. Did you find out anything?"

"I don't know... He fits the profile, but I don't think Borrasso's our man. He doesn't have motive."

Chancer frowned. "You find out anything useful?"

"Yeah. Turns out there are a couple of private contractors in the bar, and he thinks they're the ones we should be talking to."

"There are contractors in town?"

"That's what he says," Redcliffe replied, gesturing to the door behind him. He could just be trying to throw blame, but it's worth asking a few questions."

"Well, you take care of that. Heartbreaker's been doing a bit more digging into Morrison, our dearly departed drug dealer. There's something unusual about his finances. I'll meet you in the car."

Redcliffe made his way over to a group of four men in the corner of the bar, almost filling a one of the booths. They were the only obvious group in the bar, and none of them looked over thirty or under twenty-five. Their hair was uniform, for the most part. Short back and sides, just starting to grow out again. The man on the far end, who looked like the oldest by a small margin, noticed Redcliffe approaching and lowered the bottle he had raised to his lips, saying something too low for Redcliffe to hear. Instantly, the other three men snapped to attention, turning to face Redcliffe as he walked up to their table.

"Evening," the man said. The polite inclination of his head was solely for courtesy.

"Evening," Redcliffe nodded back, "I take it you boys are the contractors I've been hearing about?"

"Well, that depends on what you've heard."

The other men didn't reply; they were content to watch for the time being.

"We're doing some digging into the recent events, and your cooperation would be appreciated," Redcliffe said, a bit more firmly this time. "Your names, please?"

"Jeff Goldblum."

"Brad Pitt."

"Wesley Snipes."

"Tom Cruise."

The rapid-fire responses were so synchronized that Redcliffe suspected that it was rehearsed, or at least a running joke in the group. They all shared the same grin, and a chuckle that lasted for a few moments while Redcliffe waited.

"You can answer my question, or I can detain all of you under suspicion of obstruction. It's entirely your choice, but I think you'd much prefer to finish your drinks and have a nice night."

"You can't arrest us," one of the men said, 'Brad Pitt', "We haven't broken any laws."

"No, but I can detain you for a maximum of two days if I suspect that you're hindering the investigation. Now, it's entirely your choice, though I'd suggest you cooperate."

"Investigation?" the oldest man said, a look of mock confusion on his face, "There's an investigation? You boys heard anything about this?"

"Don't know what he's talking about, Gunny," another replied.